Mushroom ID without pic!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,
Went out collecting, and saw a beauty of a mushroom but I could not trace it back to either of the 2 books I had with me.
If you imagine a cep, about 4-5 cm tall and 6-7 cm wide, definate cep shape with large bottom tapering up to a cap with darker velvet, but all in orange!
Growing near some horse droppings in a pine section of woodland.

Sorry I'm clutching at straw's. Nothing I've seen in the books had anything like this - they all had quite spindly stalks, not bulbous at the base like this one.

didn't stain blue either, cut the small one in half and the colour was uniform orange / slight blotchy white throughout. Cap was a darker brown, pores below same colour.

Any idea's? it's a long shot!!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So it is bolete with and orange velvety cap, orange stem, and orange pores and it doesn't turn blue at all(not even slightly)when cut?

To give me clearer idea of the colours,what in your books could you compare it to?

If the inside of the stem had a mottled appearance it could be infected with nematodes that can make fungi a wierd shape.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
So it is bolete with and orange velvety cap, orange stem, and orange pores and it doesn't turn blue at all(not even slightly)when cut?

To give me clearer idea of the colours,what in your books could you compare it to?

If the inside of the stem had a mottled appearance it could be infected with nematodes that can make fungi a wierd shape.

The pores were a dark orange, almost brown. The top was darker than the stem / flesh.
Didn't turn blue at all, I cut one completly through and no change. It was almost like a larch boletus, but had a much larger stem esp. tapering to a wide base at the bottom.
Sorry it's being difficult - no camera and I'm kicking myself!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE