Mushroom ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hi guys,

I see these every year and am wondering if they are edible... I thought they were 'Penny Buns' (Boletus Edulis), but having checked my ID books i'm now not sure... Please only reply if you are experienced in mushroom ID.

I would really appreciate any help! Cheers!

mushroom.jpg

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
you need to post more detailed photos mate, if there is white honeycomb shapes on the stem just underneath the fruit body then yes I would say its a penny bun. but its hard to tell from your photos and could quite easily be a bitter bolete as well

Also the cracks in the top of the fruit body may be a bit unusual for a penny bun, and the stem looks very brown in those photos but this can happen on ceps but is not normal to be so brown.

If you could do a close up photo of the part of the stem that meets the fruit body that would help a lot as only a true cep (penny bun) will have the honeycombe shapes there )

Last edited:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
More pictures here of the stem and pores. On the younger mushrooms the pores are a much paler colour as seen on the bottom picture here. After some more research im now thinking this mushroom could be Summer Boletus (Boletus Reticulatus), what do you think?

I doubt it's Brown Birch Bolete as it was under Oak and Beech. Also the Brown Birch Bolete has grey/black speckles on the stem which this does not have

Thanks again for the help

mushroom2.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE