Multi use clothing ( historic )

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I have been thinking about this for a while now and i thought it might be fun to remember and realise some of the uses for particular clothes through the ages.
Like the mexican poncho. Was it used for sleeping under as well as wearing during the day?

The kilt thing that goes over your shoulder like a toga. I know for a fact that as well as used for daytime wearing it would be untied from the shoulder broach and used for sleeping. I saw it on Rob Roy :D

Something else interested me too. I was just looking up how to make animal skins into clothes on the net when a pic of this indian shirt popped up. You know, the one with the tassles front and back. What were the tassles for? I'm guessing camoflauge in a sense to look like grass in the wind to buffalo etc.

And what about the Arab Jellaba used in the desert during cold nights? Such a successful outfit and we don't seem to have a use for it in bushcraft or do we?

The jerkin. Leather ones were worn in the first world war by some soldiers.

The donky jacket, remember them? the coal man used to wear one as well as stret technicions :D.

Do you remember any good historical items of clothing from any age that we should ressurect or put to use or just talk about?

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
i don't know how to delete this reply so i typed this instead as you need to have at least 10 characters. :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
bilko said:
I have been thinking about this for a while now and i thought it might be fun to remember and realise some of the uses for particular clothes through the ages.
Like the mexican poncho. Was it used for sleeping under as well as wearing during the day?

The kilt thing that goes over your shoulder like a toga. I know for a fact that as well as used for daytime wearing it would be untied from the shoulder broach and used for sleeping. I saw it on Rob Roy :D

Something else interested me too. I was just looking up how to make animal skins into clothes on the net when a pic of this indian shirt popped up. You know, the one with the tassles front and back. What were the tassles for? I'm guessing camoflauge in a sense to look like grass in the wind to buffalo etc.

And what about the Arab Jellaba used in the desert during cold nights? Such a successful outfit and we don't seem to have a use for it in bushcraft or do we?

The jerkin. Leather ones were worn in the first world war by some soldiers.

The donky jacket, remember them? the coal man used to wear one as well as stret technicions :D.

Do you remember any good historical items of clothing from any age that we should ressurect or put to use or just talk about?

On the Indian shirt, if what you mean by tassles is the fringe (pieces of thin leather strips) that dangle and run across the chest and back between the shoulders usually and many times would run down both arms, it is used to wick the wet from the body of the shirt to help it dry faster. It would also be used on leggings and mocs. If on the other hand, you mean black or blond looking tassles, those would be scalp locks on a warriors shirt, which often times today is represented by horse hair instead of human hair.

I've always thought that the European cloak/cape seemed to be a simple but very versitile piece of clothing.

My favorite wool felt hat has several uses, from the obvious of keeping sun off, but also helps to shed water, but when soaked, will still help to retain the bodies heat and help keep the wearer warm. They can be used for carrying gathered foods, tinder, etc., as well as water.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Originally Posted by bilko

My understanding is that the serrape was used as a blanket, as well as shade protection from the very intense and hot sun, as well as rain protection. While not in use, they carried it folded and draped over one shoulder.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
We use a woven wool sash belt (ceinture fleche), the old ones were about 20' long and wrapped arround the body several times and acted as a gut belt to reduce ruptures, in the folds; a valuables keep, pipe storage, flint keeper, knife keeper, a haul rope when pulling canoes along rapids, an identity marker (from afar) etc... today most are for display wear and are in the 6-7' lenght. CG :yo:

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I really like wearing a kilt especially out in the nature Some tartans work as really good camouflage. I would, if I had the nerve, actually just wear one all the time. Has anyone on this forum used a big plaid (as a garment blanket etc) in the mountains???

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
jerv said:
I really like wearing a kilt especially out in the nature Some tartans work as really good camouflage. I would, if I had the nerve, actually just wear one all the time. Has anyone on this forum used a big plaid (as a garment blanket etc) in the mountains???

The majority of my shirts are plaid and they work very well to break up my outline while hunting. I also carry two plaid wool stadium blankets, which are lite weight, as part of my bedding. I've draped a dark blue and grey over my head and shoulders while waiting on stand on a hunt as well.

Hehe, you might catch me in a loin cloth, but a kilt is, well..........a bit breezy. :D

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Carcajou Garou said:
We use a woven wool sash belt (ceinture fleche), the old ones were about 20' long and wrapped arround the body several times and acted as a gut belt to reduce ruptures, in the folds; a valuables keep, pipe storage, flint keeper, knife keeper, a haul rope when pulling canoes along rapids, an identity marker (from afar) etc... today most are for display wear and are in the 6-7' lenght. CG :yo:
Ooh, that reminds me of a film i saw when i was young.
It was about a tribe of either pakistani or Indian people who wore a special belt. It was tied in such a way around the waist that with a sharp rip away from the body and careful aiming the belt would come loose and wrap around the victims neck. Then with a sharp tug you could break the neck. The belt was weighted with small round stones at the end i believe.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
it wasn't a tribe, it was a kali (the goddess of death) worshiping cult/secret society called thuggees iirc. (this is where the term thug comes from)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Graham_S said:
it wasn't a tribe, it was a kali (the goddess of death) worshiping cult/secret society called thuggees iirc. (this is where the term thug comes from)
Sounds right to me. They were responsible for killings on an enormous scale. Estimates are put between about half and two million people :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE