Multi fuel stove advice pleaaaaaase!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Ive been fancying trying a multi fuel stove for a while but dont really want to splash out on a msr so was wondering if anyone had any experience of these 2:

http://www.dx.com/p/campsor-9-split-type-camping-oil-gas-fuel-stove-silver-red-126914

seems to have got really good reviews (msr copy?), metal pump (is that important??) but also seems very heavy (missprint?)

OR

http://www.dx.com/p/firemaple-fms-f5-outdoor-camping-split-type-oil-gasoline-stove-silver-243979

looks much smaller and lighter, choice of 2 different sized fuel bottles BUT plastic pump and no reviews yet?? and ive just realised it might be liquid fuel only...

any advice would be great! :)

Last edited:

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
ive looked at that-think its the slightly older version with plastic pump and not quite as powerful but gets really good reviews! the first one ive listed comes with a spares kit and for the price i reckon i dont mind taking a punt. I just cant find any english reviews of the second stove OR comparisons...

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
You'd be able to pick up a second hand MSR whisperlite or similar on ebay for less than that. In fact, Chiseller was selling a whisperlite on here recently for less than that.

I had one of those chinese multi-fuel stoves from a member on here, it worked ok. What didn't work was the bottle that came with it. A gap developed in the neck of the bottle. Fuel sprayed out. Lots of it. It got very very exciting for a few seconds. Luckily no-one was hurt too badly.

I wouldn't even consider buying one.

If you buy an MSR you're buying from a large American company with a reputation to preserve, you will always be able to get spares, you will always be able to get it serviced, you will get compensation if the things fails and burns your arms off. Oh yeah, you also get the stove that you paid for.

If you buy from an unheard of Chinese company through ebay there's a chance you'll end up with the stove you wanted, maybe. But that's where it ends; no spares, no service, no warranty etc.

You pay your money, you make your choice :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Like Stuart said I would go down the route of a more well known brand where spares for servicing will be more widely available. Long term you are likely to have fewer problems (and with pressurized fuel and flames you don't want problems!)

A wanted ad on here or an ebay search should get you what you need. Maybe a bit more than the other stoves cost but "buy it right, buy it once" has always been my motto

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I buy lots of Chinese things, even ordered a Chinese gas stove last week from the same company but that relies on a named and tested pressurized vessel. I wouldn't however buy a Chinese product that holds pressurised petrol next to a naked flame, not yet anyway til FireMaple get a good reputation for as high a quality as the leading bunch.

Swedish, Japanese, American only.

I've paid less than that for a Primus Omnifuel off Ebay with full spares kit and spare bottles.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
Had the brs8 and was fine till started spewing petrol out it, lucky I waasnt next to the tent could have been in an episode of 999... i buy loads a Chinese knockoffs (tight, Scottish etc) but never had much confidence in it and as stated above if its gonna be pressurised petrol next to naked flame then you've got to trust it, there's folk on here used them to the end though and the only problem was the o-rings were not correct type and disintegrated due to the fuel

Last edited:

BLAG

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
sherwood forest
I got a booster multifuel stove, there not comparable to the msr, I got my whisperlite brand new for 60quid. The Chinese one is all noise and no heat. Uses twice as much petrol too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE