MSR Miniworks EX

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trauma

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Midlands, UK
www.razortooth.co.uk
i'm ready for a new filter pump and have been looking at the MSR Miniworks EX - does anyone have one of these? worth the cash?

are there any peeps who can recommend a good retailer?

thanks in advance for any replies

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
It's definitely a good'n, although I don't think it filters viruses. It's damned fast, and fits right onto a Nalgene, so is dead easy to use. (As far as I know, the only filter on the market that removes viruses is the Katadyn filter, but I may be wrong)

I'd porbably say get a PreMac (cos it's cheaper) or a Katadyn (cos it's better), but they are very good nonetheless.

Jake.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Off the top of my head I think this filters to 0.3 microns, the bigger model which has an extra filter to 0.2. You still need iodine or another method of cleaning the water.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I have a Waterworks EX and like it alot although it's bulky, especially if you use a Neglene 1ltr bottle (it screws directly on to the miniworks).

I purchased mine from the US at a fraction of what they cost here in the UK

Mickeysplace is the store name

He does the miniworks for about £45 and the Waterworks for £80, both with free postage.

Have a look here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MSR-2005-...itemZ7163482647QQcategoryZ16035QQcmdZViewItem

Rgds

Moduser

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Good morning guys. *sips coffee*

In one of my earlier replies to the thread about water, I mentioned that a carry a single canteen and a water filter. The water filter I usually carry is a Katadyn, although I have had experience using that very same MSR Miniworks.

Three problems with it, one is inherent to any and all water filters.

1) The MSR is EXTREMELY difficult to pump, the handle is bloody stiff, and too short for effective pumping. After humping around for eleven or twelve hours in the alpine, I found the MSR very tiring to pump. And it takes a long time to fill up a one litre canteen.

2) I have this same issue with the Katadyn I use. Inside the bag that you carry the filter in, be damn sure to take a green kitchen scrubby pad, the ones you use on pots and pans. Scotchbrite, I think they're called. As the filters are ceramic, the pores can become clogged with the bacteria and muck that you're filtering out of your drinking water. I recommend doing it this to your filter once a day, maybe more.

3) Unfortunately, I can't recommend you a good retailer, Trauma. Sorry.

And that's about all I have to write about the MSR Waterworks pump. Well, that and the filter pores getting clogged reminds me of Gore-Tex. :p

Cheers,

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE