MSR Dragonfly problems

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
I've managed to get hold of a second hand MSR Dragonfly stove but it wont work. It came without a manual but everything else seems to be in order, I have stripped it down and cleaned everything that I think might be the problem but so far no luck.
Does anyone have any experience of this stove ? or can anyone recommend somewhere that will service / get it working for me ?

I'd appreciate any info or thoughts on this as being stoveless is restricting my activities.

Thanks in advance

Glen

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
can you give us some idea of what the problem is,it's not working doesn't give us much to go on.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
It wont Ignite, infact there no fuel getting to the wick even though the pump seems to be ok. Its the first one i've ever had so i might be me just doing or maybe not doing something correctly.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
I've downloaded the manual already but I must admit I've not tried to preheat it.
The fuel bottle is full of Aspen 4 T, could that be a problem ? I seem to remember that you can change the jets for different fuels, although Aspen 4 T is just cleaner petrol so not sure on that !
I'll have another go, let you know what happens.

Cheers

Glen

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've only ever used good old unleaded in my MSRs (sorry Rik) and I've never had any problems. Got a bit of flair up once with my Whisperlite but that was simple enough to resolve.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I got hold of a 2nd hand Whisperlite a while ago after using a Primus 96 for many years,
and quickly became very frustrated with its performance - it would either flare and roar or pulse like a V1 in trouble!
A friend showed me how he used his and since then it has been a lot better. Also got the pump replaced by MSR when the plunger support ring cracked.

Bottom line, keep with it, it should improve and become a reliable piece of kit - failing that, send it to me and I'll see that it gets put to good service :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi glen
you need to preheat it
but you need to check the fuel is getting to the burner check that their's no crap blocking the jet's and that your pump working
I've had a dragonfly for years without any problems but have only used coalman fuel
scott

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have the XGK and there is a wire inside the fuel tube to keep it unblocked and the shakerjet system. Are they present on the Whisperlite?

The only time I have had any problems is when using diesel (well, US JP8 anyway) and this was quite smokey and dirty. Needed regular cleaning with the wire and jets. Had to do it from necessity but shows that the stove system works with pretty nasty fuel too!

Last edited:

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
hi i bought a new dragonfly a couple of years ago when i was in the states
when i went to use it a couple of months later after a a prime it boiled or rather it wouldnt boil a ltr of water it should have boiled it in about 4 min i gave up after 17min

after striping and cleaning 3 x both the pump and the stove its self
i found that the non return valve in the pump (very bottom of the pump which is a spring and a rubber ball) the ball had deformed and was not allowing the pump to pump air into the fuel tank to pressurize the fuel.
all i did was to remove the spring and pump it hard to force the ball out then just reversed the ball it now works well sub 4 min boil for a ltr

but after using the optimus model 8's,99's ,123's. which are self pressurizing i went back to the optimus units as in my experience they have been 100% reliable no breakdowns even after i've used unleaded (for more years than i care to admit) petrol Colman fuel and panel wipe let us know if you are still struggling with the beast

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problems with your MSR Dragonfly.

It wont Ignite, infact there no fuel getting to the wick even though the pump seems to be ok. Its the first one i've ever had so i might be me just doing or maybe not doing something correctly.

Ok from the above there are 2 possible issues.

1. The fuel bottle is not pressurising
2. The fuel line and or Jet are blocked.

Ok to test for number 1 try the following OUTSIDE and AWAY from all possible sources of ignition.

Fill the fuel bottle approx 1/2 full with your fuel of choice.
Screw in the pump unit and make sure the fuel supply valve is closed.
Give the bottle about 5 -10 pumps no more.

Leave it for 5 minutes then unscrew the pump unit. If the pump is making and holding pressure there should be a reasonable hiss when you unscrew the pump ( this hiss is air and fuel hence you need to do this test outside and away from any source of ignition)

No Hiss?? Then you can say there is a problem with the pump either making or holding pressure. Follow the manual to service the pump and the Non Return Valve.

If the pump unit is making and holding pressure then it's possible either the fuel supply line or jet are blocked or the fuel filter is clogged. I'd start by removing the fuel filter and seeing if you can then get fuel out of the Jet ( you're opening both fuel valves right??) if this works then the fuel filter is the problem.

No fuel then remove the jet and see if it is blocked by holding it up to the light you should be able to see the jet orifice clearly a very small hole.. No hole then the jet is blocked try blowing through it ( don't be tempted to stick a pin through it you'll just open up the hole and the jet will then be oversize and the stove won't run correctly. Get yourself a service kit and replace the jet.

Jet orifice ok and still no fuel then it's likely the stove valve is clogged follow the manual to unclog it by removing the deposits that build up inside the valve ( unleaded is bad for this on stoves with a valve at the burner such as the Dragonfly and Primus Omnifuel Shewie gets away with it in his Whisperlite casue that has the valve at the bottle but cannot simmer very well....)

Hope the above helps... If your stuck post it to me and I'll fix it...

ardri

Dec 31, 2006
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Hope Mungo doesn't mind, but you might want to check out his site. I think it was in July of 2009 or there abouts he wrote a great article about his stove, he solved the problem of the stove not lighting. You can find him under his blog Mungo says Blah. Hope this helps.
Regards
Ardri

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE