Moving heavy timber

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Big sections of tree trunks make great firewood but are seriously HEAVY

Too many people try to manhandle them and it's a great way to hurt your back.

This 30s video shows how I use a log pick & sack truck to make life easie

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You need a cantilever hook Turfor to move large logs. Back have nothing to do with it.
I'm guessing that you mean Tirfor (as in the winch brand). I have a variety of comealongs, winches and ratchets. They have their place but moving sections in a wood yard they don't work for me - there's just too much to foul the line and not enough clear anchor points. They are useful for falling or with an A frame though

Reactions: ManFriday4

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You need a cantilever hook Turfor to move large logs. Back have nothing to do with it.

Mmm... not my favourite bit of kit for serious loads; you cannot operate it outside the danger zone. On top of that, to hook up a Turfor every time you want to move a large lump of wood makes the job extremely long.

For serious heaving - as in 2 ton trunks up 45 degree slopes, I use a petrol driven capstan winch. On top of everything else it has the advantage of using rope not wire plus you operate it from the side well out of the danger zone.

TG5P3270056 - 2 - 2056 - 25.jpg

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For serious heaving - as in 2 ton trunks up 45 degree slopes, I use a petrol driven capstan winch. On top of everything else it has the advantage of using rope not wire plus you operate it from the side well out of the danger zone.

View attachment 77816
That's a proper bit of kit! I do use an 1800s Handy Billy on occasion as its based on rope and easy to transport - but that looks the business

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
I have only had coppicing and moving logs out of woods or clearing windblown trees exp. Yes a Tirfor box wìnch used to use it with rope block & tackle using blocks which open, trees as strap anchors and rollers (small logs). Alot of tge Rees were already squared too with a mobile mill.

Over 20 tears ago.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I’m not sure if you have them? A PEAVY is a Canadian/ US timber tool for moving logs.
We do and they are great for rolling! We also have what we call "Timber Jacks". These are Peaveys (we also call them Cant Hooks) with an attached T Piece used to lift one end of a large log. It can then be cut without grounding the sawTimber Jack by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Cant hooks here too. Mors Kochanski has an episode on
YOuTube on a flip winch that may prove useful.
California has lots of trees down from the storm.
An intact forest can handle high winds. But the false ‘beauty strips’ along roadways to hide clear cutting are vulnerable to ‘edge effect’ Our redwoods and even the larger oaks will require more than a silky big boy.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cant hooks here too. Mors Kochanski has an episode on
YOuTube on a flip winch that may prove useful.
California has lots of trees down from the storm.
An intact forest can handle high winds. But the false ‘beauty strips’ along roadways to hide clear cutting are vulnerable to ‘edge effect’ Our redwoods and even the larger oaks will require more than a silky big boy.
I am certain that I do not have a bar and chain large enough for a Redwood!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE