Mousepads

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Or whatever they are called.

The one on my laptop has ceased working, -fortunatley I have a separate mouse.

But this means I have more cables to entangle....

...Replacing a mousepad is easy, yes? Get new, open case, get out old and put in new etc??

Or is it best left to an expert??

Anyhow; how do I find out which mousepad I need anyway?

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
if it was mine I wouldn't mess with the touch pad,it would be off to a shop :( but I use a wireless mouse 99% of the time anyway

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yeah, but what if yor in a situation where theres nowhere to run the mouse on?

I have had to re arrange my table so I can fit in a mousemat.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
You know you dont need a mousemat with modern laser mice? You only need them with ball mice, which afaik never came with a USB connector

Track balls are much better for your digits anyway :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Have you tried a driver update in device manager, right click my computer and then manage, device manager, pointing devices or similar, what were the circumstances of it stopping working

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Ah he means "trackpad"

No its not something you want to try yourself, but right click>uninstal in Device Manager, then rebooting might help, if not right click> update driver

Its unusual for that kind of software failure to happen though tbh

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
He meant what he said, pointing device or similar as a lot of factors depend on what it's labeled as

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A mousepad is easy... I use a book. You have the benefit of having something to read when you're bored of the net.

And yes, I said net... sue me.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
If it is a hardware rather than a driver problem, you're best off leaving it to the professionals. It should be just a case of taking the old one out and dropping in a new one, connecting up the ribbon cable and off you go, but getting to it will be the problem. Some laptop cases are designed strangely, in my opinion, you need to do a near complete stripdown to get the case open, I've seen some where you need to remove the screen to get to the touchpad.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
He meant what he said, pointing device or similar as a lot of factors depend on what it's labeled as

A mouse mat and a trackpad are very different things, trackpad is the built in flat panel type mouse in a laptop, a mousepad/mat is what you put on a desk so that 1980's ball mice work :)

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
A mouse mat and a trackpad are very different things, trackpad is the built in flat panel type mouse in a laptop, a mousepad is what you put on a desk so that 1980's ball mice work :)

I know that, I never called it a mouse mat, never ! and a mousepad is for '80's ball mice, really ?

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
I know that, I never called it a mouse mat, never ! and a mousepad is for '80's ball mice, really ?

Mouse mat and mouse pad are the same thing; track pad isnt.

If you walk into a shop and ask them to fix your mouse pad, you'll be disappointed with the result when you return :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Mouse mat and mouse pad are the same thing.

If you walk into a shop and ask them to fix your mouse pad, you'll be disappointed with the result when you return :)

OK, to clarify, I have never called it a mouse mat, mouse pad or any other such item that you would place a mouse on, it hasn't got a mouse it's a lappy, it has a track pad, I suggested checking drivers etc, I'm not sure where you're reading from but it isn't my posts ?

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Not sure why you are making this about you, i quoted you once to ensure the OP understood that what you said was not quite correct. I'm not picking an argument, you however seem to be, and i cant work out why?

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Touch pads can be tricky depending on what brand of laptop you have. I've replace the touchpad on an old ASUS that was easy. Remove screws, lift up case, unplug cable pull out dead touch pad...repeat in opposite order with new touch pad.

That said some are a real PITA so leave it to the pros. My wife has a trackball wireless mouse that she swears by and never uses the touch pad.

Did it stop suddenly?*** One button died? not tracking as it should? Touch pads are surprisingly hard wearing and 75 to 80% of the time it's driver problems that are at the root.

*** I ask that because mine "died" suddenly and it turns out I had hit F9 (touchpad on/off) by mistake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE