Mountain man rawhide sheath and a new user (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
A group shot of some of my recent work :)
Hope you like the pictures, I'm really trying to take better photos of my work now and decided to take advantage of an unusually bright and warm day today.

First up is something I've wanted to make for a long time. A real 'mountain man' rawhide sheath for my customised Cold Steel Trailmaster. It's been sitting in the practical but boring secure-ex sheath since I have a new handle made a few years back. I've always been reluctant to make a leather one since I felt bad about just chucking the perfectly good secure-ex sheath. So, I decided to add old school and new school and wrap it in rawhide and leather.

The main sheath is rawhide with copper rivets, sewn together with artificial sinew, and has a tooled and distressed leather harness with genuine mink fur and bone accents thrown on for good measure. The harness is removable so I can use the base rawhide sheath just tucked into a belt if I wish.
I have to say this was the most fun sheath I've made and I am very chuffed with it. I love trying new designs and experimenting with different 'looks'. I'll be making a lot more stuff in this style from now on!

The rest of the stuff is a bit more normal. There are a few of my handmade belt pouches, which are for sale elsewhere on the forum and my new 'user'.
I love Enzo blades, and still use my Enzo trapper (the first knife I handled) as my go to blade. However, last year someone asked to look at it and proceeded to use it as a flint striker, with devastating effects on the blade and the desert ironwood handle :O Even though I refurbished it, it hasn't felt quite the same as I had to take a bit off the handle. Needless to say I was beyond peeved at this act of stupidity: never, ever, ever lend your knife to someone even to 'look' at :(

But, I decided to make up something new for myself and went with the slightly smaller, slightly lighter elver to use as a neck and belt knife. I do more hiking than camping these days, so having something I can wear arund my neck and tuck inside a jacket is handy. It's an O1 version I've handle it in stabilised native Irish oak burl, over thin black liners with brass hardware. I made a nice, simple leather sheath to keep it safe and secure.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks Cameron. It was weird making the rawhide sheath: trying to do make the stitching a bit off and make it just look like something made on the trail, but it was great fun. I couldn't bring myself not to burnish the edges on the harness though, I just had to have them nicely polished!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, guys. :) The elver is just finished so hasn't seen use beyond testing while shaping the handle, but I like it so far.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Yeah, that's how i did this one. Wet the rawhide and sew it over the inner sheath. It tightened up nicely when it dried out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE