mouldy leather

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Lets face it my house is damp, and even when kept, say, on top of my wardrobe leather items get mouldy.

How do you clean it off and prevent it from returning?

(I am tacking the damp problem this summer...)

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Leather does that. To clean it get some warm water and a sponge,wring the sponge out and wipe the leather over, dont get it to wet.
Is it soft leather or thick like a belt ?
To keep it supple use Carr,Day and Martins glycerine saddle soap, use another dry sponge and wet the bar of saddle soap rub it on the sponge and apply to the leather,if you wet the sponge to much you will end up with foam everywhere.
The only way to stop leather from going mouldy is to clean it regularly.
Other good ones are Jefferies saddle soap and Ko-cao-line which is a leather dressing.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Lets face it my house is damp, and even when kept, say, on top of my wardrobe leather items get mouldy.

How do you clean it off and prevent it from returning?

(I am tacking the damp problem this summer...)

I had the same problem with a couple of sheaths that had been in my daughter's garage for just over two years..:(

I let them dry out fairly naturally (suspended behind the fridge - the warmth from the heat exchanger is just about
enough..). After about three days, I brushed them off with a stiff shoe brush and treated them to a fairly liberal rub
with a soft cloth and something called "Strahldur Leather Balsam". They both came up a treat.... ;)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The best way to combat damp is ventilation. Unfortunately in our climate having a window wide open won't please all of the people all of the time.

The second best way is dehumidifiers. They can be a bit expensive to run but they do a great job. The cheap ones (under a hundred quid) aren't always very reliable but even they will make a surprising difference to a damp room. If you use electricity for heating then a dehumidifier will actually reduce running costs by the amount of electricity required to boil (not bring to the boil, but evaporate to dryness) all the water that it collects. A drier room is very much more comfortable than a damp one, and you'll feel less need of heating.

All this assumes you've stopped any leaks of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE