Most calories per gram

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like quinoa, I can even grow it here, in fact my crop is ripening now :D
I also like, and I think actually prefer, the native Fat Hen / Good King Henry.

I think it would make an excellent base for the lemba (one food to feed them all ;) ) type bar :cool:

Not so fond of cranberries and cherries in things though, our native cranberries and crowberries are usually only found in threatened habitats. Blaeberries are widely found though, smaller than the commercial crops, but like the wild strawberry, sweeter and tastier :D

How about chopped apricots and pieces of dried apples ? mix in a small handful of hawthorn berries to make the whole thing bind ?

I used to use a lot of oats for things like this, and have just been told that if I'm *very* careful where I purchase them from, they ought not be adulterated with any wheat gluten, and so should not cause me any problems. I'm going to be one happy lady if I can eat oats again :approve:

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with the pemmican mix :)

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy for enlightening me, I'll try to source some to try.

As for the calorie rich stuff I'm a jerky'n'salami guy myself, chorizo is good for spicing things up, Jerky is better homemade.

What's that stuff that's made from ground up sesame seeds? hasn't that got loads of calories? Halva?

Feeling peckish now, dammit.............

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh yeah, halva, that's great stuff... Kinda like tablet, but made with tahini instead of butter. Lovely, especially with pistachios in.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
nobody else using rice?(+flavours)

I would think everybody. Rice is excellent, good calorie content and extremely versatile. You can soak it to reduce cooking time (or even eliminate it altogether), you can eat it cold or hot, you can eat it on it's own or just with seasoning, you can have it sweet or savory, you can mix it with any meat, you can add seafood and shellfood to it for a paella, in fact you can add almost anything to it, or it to almost anything, ranging from a few gathered leaves, to a full on vegetable byriani. It's all good. The Vietnamese fought and won a war on it and 2/3 of the world eat it every day - often through choice as much as necessity. It's filling, it packs small, it has a high calorie to dry weight ratio, it lasts for ever and it even tastes nice. Variety is very important and the enormous versatility of rice makes it probably the best all round carbohydrate you could ask for. You can even grind it to make flour. Brilliant food.

Dodger

Oct 4, 2009
UK
Quaker Oats Golden Syrup flavour - 40g, 150 kcal, 375 kcal/100g
Mountain House Scrambled Eggs with Ham - 96g, 370 kcal, 385 kcal/100g
Mountain House Beef Stew - 148g, 540 kcal, 365 kcal/100g
Batchelors Chicken Super Noodles - 114g, 524 kcal, 460 kcal/100g
Batchelors Chicken Cup-a-Soup - 28g, 102 kcal, 364 kcal/100g
Sainsburys Mixed Nuts & Raisins - 208g, 1018 kcal, 489 kcal/100g
Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut bar - 49g, 240 kcal, 490 kcal/100g

Listed weights are as weighed in packaging; calorific content are as listed on the packaging.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I've been told that cashew nuts are one of the highest calorific foods.

Coincidentally, cashew nuts, roasted peanuts, crunchy peanut butter and spam are the food items which I've found easiest to carry and eat on the move, with no preparation time or fuel use.

Could just be that I'm unimaginative (foodwise) when on the move, though I like to cook proper meals when camped.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE