Mors Kochanski Try Stick

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
After Kepis's post and finishing my new carving knife, thought I would have a bash.

I found my old copy of BCUK's Bushcraft Magazine with the article, and had a look though Mors's Bushcraft Book too, which is an excellent read.

My weeping willow isn't the straightest bearer of sticks but did the job ok.

S5000038.jpg

Just a couple more notches I would like to try that aren't on this one.

Addo :)

S5000040.jpg

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's excellent addo, i have to get hold of a copy of that magazine one day so that i can try out the couple of notches that i really don't understand at the moment.

stuart

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did one of those when the mag first came out - it is harder than you think and realy good practice!
Mine was just like the illustration (but not as neat of course :)) but I cannot find it to photograph it! I think it may have fallen foul of SWMBO and the fire....:(

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...Stuart
You will find the info HERE in a great book.

Unless he has significantly updated the book from my fairly recent edition the 'try stick' isn't covered in there, lots of useful stuff though. :)

thanks for that brancho, and sendbender, clear as mud! it's a book i've been meaning to get for a while actually, i sat down to start reading a cliv's copy at a meet last year but glorious sunshine turned to rain about halfway down the first page!

stuart

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Unless he has significantly updated the book from my fairly recent edition the 'try stick' isn't covered in there, lots of useful stuff though. :)
I stand corrected I must have just seen this in the Mag then. The book is great though and better than similiar by RM IMO.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the comments folks, give it a go its good fun.

I did one of those when the mag first came out - it is harder than you think and realy good practice!
Mine was just like the illustration (but not as neat of course :)) but I cannot find it to photograph it! I think it may have fallen foul of SWMBO and the fire....:(

Hi John, Did you manage the whistle as in the picture. I was going to do it separately so I could do the spear notch too.

I enjoyed reading through these magazines again.

For more info on the stick and more notches, look here http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2010/02/mors-kochanski-try-stick.html

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For some reason - yes...but it was unplayable in that position!
I have made more whistles than I can count - as separates - and not had one that failed yet :)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
There is also a tutorial of how to do this in a previous copy of Bushcraft and Survival Skills magazine. This was done by a writer who had experience from the master himself.

Nice knife as well, lovely handle.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There is also a tutorial of how to do this in a previous copy of Bushcraft and Survival Skills magazine. This was done by a writer who had experience from the master himself.

Nice knife as well, lovely handle.

Aye - it were young George!
Best writer they had at the time!
:D
That includes Dave Budd - who I rate very highly by the way!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one Addo, here's a couple i did yesterday with a couple of different blades.

DSCF2151.jpg

also added a detailed image showing the different cuts, plus one or two extra cuts on my blog, link in my sig

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work Mark, plenty of notches there and I like the contrast with the bark, helps them to stand out.

I think its best for folks to hunt around for the issue 2 of the bcuk mag or the other mentioned, if your after a copy or have a good luck at the close ups on Mark and my blog pics.

Cheers and happy whittling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE