Mors ' guidance on willow withies

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Having seen lots of good mentions of Mors Korchanski's book - 'Bushcraft' - I am now working my way through it.

Re willow withies (p155 - 156) he says:

"A method of binding with willows is to interlock two forks, leaving the fine ends free to complete the tie by twisting it into a kink which in turn is forced between what is being tied and the lashing material."

He doesnt include a diagram.

I can't visualise what is being done.

As my neighbour's willow tree overhangs my garden I have the opportuinty to try it out but can't understand what MK means.

I have searched BCUK (this thread) on 'withies' but not found anything - anybody got any idea/illustrations of what is being described?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
something like this :

withie.jpg

(excuse the poor sketch - I just knocked it up from memory :))

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
The above is almost correct.

Page 152 "The binding tie" illistrates the technique .

Having used it a lot i find that nearly and decidious branch will work provided the tips are fine and the fork is strong, it also has to be live to allow for twist.

If you don't have the book to hand the technique is using the forks in the same manner as above but the fine ends are held together in one hand and both twisted in the same direction until it is tigh to the tree and a kink forms, this is then forced between the twigs and the tree to lock it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE