more spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Ive made these over the last 3 days. They are all made from sycamore. Thought you may like to see them.:)

Jon

sycamorespoons3.jpg

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
They are beautiful, and you did them in three days!!

one question why do bushcrafters whittle only spoons, cos I thinking of making some forks and butter knifes, I am I wierd?:240:

I think it's because spoons are relatively simple, yet to those not in the know they look quite difficult :D And they're very useful. When I go away I usually only take a spoon as it does everything.

Good spoons by the way jon, I like the 2-tone effect of the wood on the 5th one. And that little knot in the bowl of the 4th one must've been a pain.

3 days huh? you work fast :D

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
what do you finish the spoons with? Oil I've read but what type?

Spoons look great, very elegant.

ferrol

I just use Olive oil. It brings out the colour a treat. They wern't baked in oil though, i just rubbed the oil in so if i wash then it will proberbly come off again.

Sxmolloy, Being as you have got a new crook knife you may be interested in my tutorial on making a case for it. Heres the link:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21907

Jon

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
They are beautiful, and you did them in three days!!

one question why do bushcrafters whittle only spoons, cos I thinking of making some forks and butter knifes, I am I wierd?:240:

When doing my fundamental bushcraft course we made "swedish butter knifes" really simple, effective and they looked good. just like spoons you can take on different designs!

Great work bye the way Jon! :headbang:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They really are great - I especially like the middle one - just a great looking spoon - good lines and nice shape

Red

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
Ladle sounds good! I've been making a matching spoon & spatula from ash and find it difficult enough to work with after a couple of days as it dries!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I tend to carve them in one session so drieing is not a problem. Keep your peice in a plastic bag or something so it doesnt dry out, mind it doesn't go mouldy though in those sweaty conditions.

My fresh sycamore wood did dry fast though. I carved a spoon then sanded it straight after and it didnt clog the paper. then i oiled it. So after a hour or so i had carved a new spoon from fresh wood and made the finishing toches too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE