More Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Wow!!! Amazing work my friend!!

I've tried many times to carve spoons but always end up messing it up!!

Have you got any good tips to make it easier?

Atb
Steve

Hi Steve without knowing at what stage you are going wrong I could'nt say, but I will try.

Roughing out a spoon shaped blank (most of the time this is flat for me) draw the top view of the spoon on this, and then remove all excess wood you can see untill you almost reach the lines you have drawn.

Draw the side view of the spoon on this new form and repeat the removal of surplus wood. Using your knife round off the corners of the underside of the bowl leaving the top flat, we now almost have a compleated spoon.

Time to cut out the bowl, draw in the inner lip of the bowl, take your crook / spoon knife and start to remove excess wood from the bowl area (take care not to go too deep or you will end up with a tea strainer) I like to do side to side first then front to back as this allows me remove material quickly.

We now have a rough spoon, time to apply the finnishing stages, the more carefully you have worked with your knives the less time is needed the on final processing of a spoon. Using a 120 grit sandpaper clean up all the rough areas repeate the process with finer grit paper (I use 120, 180, 240, 400 and 600 Grit). When I get to the 400 / 600 grit I soak the spoon in hot water to lift the pile and reveal roughness, again sand (lightly) using 400 / 600 grit then repeat the soaking and light sanding unitll the pile will cease to rise and the surface will remain smooth and shiny. Apply oil to treat the wood and the spoon is ready to use.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE