More modest bushcraft knife suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all,
I own an Enzo trapper (SS, self build).
I like the overall feel and ergonomics and it is a very good quality knife. But I think the Scandi grind is too abrupt (especially near the tip) and I want something a bit lighter that can be carried around the neck and also Baldric style.

In general I like 8-9cm of blade and ideally a full tang. I want something of a decent quality and definately up from a Mora. I am looking for suggestions really.

I once owned an Enzo Elver and loved the overall feel of the compact knife. I found it surprisingly good around the neck. I sold it because I had a hang up about it not being a Scandi. I whittle and carve with flat ground knives now so it doesn't bother me loads any more. It is definately one possibility. Also, Karesuando make blades in that size range as does Caastrom (the RB range look very tasty).

Another option is to ask a maker to make a blade based on my design (I have drawn one) and do the rest myself.

Any suggestions are welcome. It is baically a toss up between the hassle of getting a custom compared with buying something very close to spec on the market.

Cheers all.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
I guess I am expecting about 50 - 100 quid but that includes the possibility of sheath and handle being self build. Of course, if something grabs my attention I may save up.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Why not just have a blade made to your design then handle it yourself.
Im sure someone could make you a full tang pukko.

Second one up is my favorit for neck carry, the top one is a woodlore so you can use that as a scale.
DSC_0072.jpg

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
with a budget of 50-100 squid you should really commission something lovely from one of the excellent bladesmiths on this site.
Dave Budd had some very nice smaller blades for sale on his thread and Rob Evans also had some excellent neckers for sale in the Makers Market.I have knives by both of these makers ; you would not be disappointed.
Cheers , Simon

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Fallkniven wm1 would be another option. I have one ready to handle at the moment and I'm doing a neck sheath for it.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Thank you Johnny boy. The second blade up looks awesome. My preference would be for a fuller more barrel shaped handle on the bottom but generally speaking the full tank puukko is the right idea. Something in between the woodlore and the neck knife size.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Have a look through this lot, if you need info on one give me a shout. ( really should update photo's with all the latest purchases :) )

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87453&highlight
=

Very nice. Excellent joinery also.
My thoughts- Top drawer- second knife; nice and slim and pointy. fourth and sixth knives; great overall shape with not too many lumps and bumps (Enzo?)
Second drawer. 6th (loveless?) handle and blade line up straight. Beautiful. 7th and 9th; handy little numbers. 10th knife; lovely shape.
Third drawer. 2nd and 3rd. perfect shapes but the grind is too steep. Last 3 Puukkos; perfect high grind.

I think I will go ahead with commissioning a blade but my main concern is that even though I know what I want, when I draw a design it never looks quite right. It looks to boxy and not sleek and puukko like.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
It seems like you've already decided what you want but you may want to have a look here http://www.ragweedforge.com

There are hundreds of scandi knives here that seem to fit your criteria. There are not too many full tangs, but the Shorter EKA that they sell seems to be nice. Also, the Condor Sapien seems to fit your criteria, although it sounds like you may want something that looks nicer.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thank you Johnny boy. The second blade up looks awesome. My preference would be for a fuller more barrel shaped handle on the bottom but generally speaking the full tank puukko is the right idea. Something in between the woodlore and the neck knife size.

Might be worth contacting FGYT of these parts. In fact the bottom knife in the pic looks like one of his. He does different sizes, relatively inexpensive, and can knock up a Kydex sheath for you too.

His website is http://www.dorsetwoodlandblades.co.uk/bushcraft-blades.htm

Link fixed :cool:

I think you may find something to suit you here, I just looked at the site again. It's very much geared to personal tools.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE