More leatherwork, A messanger bag and a belt pouch

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I made a few bits and pieces for friends in Knutsford recently and was planning on having a little break from leatherwork for a week or two but a new air rifle inspired me to make a simple bag for pellets. For a change I used an oil finish on this to make it softer. This worked out well and made me think of a couple of projects I could do using thin leather and an oiled finish.

So first off I had been planning on making a belt pouch for all the stuff I carry in my pockets. This is the stuff it is always handy to have about, leatherman juice, small torch, lighter, piece of string, secure flash drive, tweezers and diamond sharpening card. Much as all this fitted in my pockets it made them look like a gerbil's cheeks. I had planned a wet formed pouch for this but as it turned out a soft leather one worked better.

It is just a simple pancake style with a clip attached to the back and closed with a couple of press studs.

softbags5.JPG

softbags6.JPG

softbags7.JPG

As usual one things leads to another. I had already made a canvas messenger style bag for my Ipad but was not entirely happy with it. So I remade it in leather but with buckle closures and a better attachment of the "D" rings on the back.

I am very pleased with this but forgot that I should have made it just a little bigger. It fits the Ipad in its cover perfectly well but if it had just been a centimetre or so wider it would also have taken an A4 pad when required. Still as I am as pleased with the result chances are I will make a few more like this.

As usual it is all hand stitched in artificial sinew with all brass fittings.

softbags1.JPG

softbags2.JPG

softbags3.JPG

softbags4.JPG

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Superb as usual John, The ipod pouch looks particularly useful.
My phone case has a spring clip like that but also has a strap fastened underneath that will go under your belt and atatches to a poper above the spring.Kind of belt and braces security.

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I really really like the Ipad bag you made. Sometimes when traditional crafts and modern technology are mixed it just looks all wrong........Your bag is NOT one of those times.

The oiled leather has a well used and well loved affect IMHO.
As an offshoot, It is also very good for personal security, as it does not look like it would contain an Ipad, unlike many commercial cases, which almost seem to have 'mug me, I am carrying a PC' stamped on them :)

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
not fair.
i wnat to be able to make something like that
lol
veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy nice ... i like

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, it wasn't just a "summer thing" - that's still gorgeous. My only suggestion would be a bit of a "gusset" (horrible word) or bellows between the two sides so a slim Sigg type water bottle would fit in and a hex stove...and a Trangia kettle...and a pony (sorry got carried away there :D)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Very nice mk,what rifle have you got.
Soloman.

You know how these things work. it is hard to have just one. I had an old Air Arms Mistral springer in 22 then recently got an Air Arms s210 in 22 second hand from a friend. So the Mistral got passed on to a friend and I got a second hand Theoben Mk1 in 177. Of course now I am so taken with the Theoben that I fancy a MFR or Mk2

Yep, it wasn't just a "summer thing" - that's still gorgeous. My only suggestion would be a bit of a "gusset" (horrible word) or bellows between the two sides so a slim Sigg type water bottle would fit in and a hex stove...and a Trangia kettle...and a pony (sorry got carried away there :D)

Yes a gusset and maybe some pockets and a divider inside have all crossed my mind but as yet stayed away from being made. Probably try a more multi function messenger bag sometime though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE