Mora Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
And here we're talking the red-handled ones.

What's the difference between the Frosts and KJ Erikson ones??
And which is best? :?:

I'll buy a 96 mm KJ Eriksen soon and make a bushcraft knife of that. IIRC that's made in carbonsteel??

:pack:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Frosts is a knife making company.. KJ Eriksson is a maker they aren't connected except for the fact they both make a mora modle!

you can read a little about the various mora's and a little about the knife here

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The carbon Moras are one of the few knives that will readilly throw spark with natural flints ( after a little squaring and and roughening of the spine with a file,) a minor, but valid consideration in a survival kit. The laminated Frost Mora will also spark, but is attractive to some for it's edge performance. The stainless Moras have greater corrosion resistance. All of these versions are inexpensive and with factory edges more expensive brands don't want to discuss over emails :nana:. It's no wonder many outdoor schools find them excellent for instruction. The next step forward (?) is to 'upgrade' to a more robust blade of exotic steel and nicer cosmetics at 10 times the cost. This is well and good, makes for a healthy industry and fullfills all the intangible needs we have.

Moine

Forager
TheViking said:
Thank you both. :) Which one holds the best edge, the laminated or carbon? :wave:
The main concern with laminated is that it bends... and stays bent. Any significant lateral stress will bend your blade and you will have to hammer it back to true.

That's the reason why I prefer the KJ Erikssons, even though they are "only" 60-61 RC, while the Frosts are a little harder.

Frost's clippers and military models (in triflex) don't have this problem, though. They are extremely tough.

Cheers,

David

The laminated will hold an edge longer if properly sharpened in the first place. Wood carvers use them to carve hard woods where they need extremely sharp edges. Carve a bit, strop on carboard and green buffing compound, carve - and so on.
The regular carbon Mora will hold an edge just fine for most outdoor stuff, though.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Hi Guys

I actually deal in both companies the difference between the redhandle models is very slim at best and only with appearance in the end the factories actually stand next to each others i have been told within throwing distance. Both companies take great pride in their product and still operate on a personal basis. i can call the factory and if Jerker Eriksson is in he will take my call something you don't see hardly in the age of voice mail.

As far as the difference between Laminate and the carbon Jimbo is right the laminate does hold a better edge it seems to be able to graduate to that level of ridiculously sharp (meaning past hair shaving). The laminates are more flexible then the carbon but interesting I have bent a laminate and simply brought it back by leaning on it with wood and weight. That is to say it was a bowed bend and not a kink.

The frosts models in stainless and carbon are good model as of late I have been receiving a lot of good feedback on the Triflex model which is an odd bird itself.

Abe

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I have a laminated blade too - I use it a demo on courses - and I can actually bend the blade with thumb pressure alone.

Persoanlly I wouldnt reccomend this to anybody - the standard carbon blades are excellent however and hard to beat.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This is the triflex with a custom kydex sheath.

triflex1b.jpg

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Thanks for the picture Hoodoo. So what is the different aspect of the triflex over the green handled military model? :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE