Mora knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
What kind of Mora/Frosts knives do you usually discuss/mean on BCUK? How much do they cost in the UK?

There seem to be quite a bit of variations on different threads here...quite a few "tuned up versions too... :) Nice!

Here in Finland, you get a multitude of options (usually with plastic handles), but not so much the old style one - ie. with a plastic sheath and painted red wooden handle...It`s a very common tool used in everyday life, and are sold virtually everywhere...(hardware store, gas stations, supermarkets etc.)

Did you know that their starting price her is in the region of 1-3 euros? :) I`ve NEVER paid more than 5 euros...and that`s with a carbon steel blade (I don`t like stainless...)

Marko

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
We pay about 10 pounds maybe a little less, how can they make them for 1 euro that must be cheaper than the Chinese knives. I often wondered what the general opinion of mora knives is in there own country ,could you tell me are they viewed as cheap rubbish or with the same respect they have over here.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
In the UK these are probably the most common, here in sweden the Mora 2000 is probably the most popular knife, especially among soldiers and outdorrs people.

mora_army.jpg

mora_army_clipper.jpg

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I have a Clipper in 12c27 with a bright orange plastic handle, covered in black rubber. It's the best knife I've ever bought and although it looks cheap, I know that it definately isn't. And for the price, if I ever do break it (which is probably impossible) I won't use up my limited college-student bank of $$!

Adam

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I got a couple of Mora knives from Whitby a few years back. They have birch handles, totally undecorated, hilts, unlaminated. the 5in one had a slightly curved point. I also have a Frosts laminate 3in x 2.5mm ish carving knife which i would say are the most common (from what i've seen myself) in the UK. It seems to be easier now to get the clipper than it was a few years back, when i rarely saw them.

ian

edit: the Frosts carving range are very common in woodworking magazines.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
reinhardt_woets said:
Thanks :) .. they mention the knife but cant find it on the site though :confused:

e-mail the guy (or turn up at a show he is attending), he was friendly enough and I'm sure would help, I got a couple of Mora and and a Gransfors SFA from him, he also had a whole bunch of reindeer skins, however I try as I might the other half looked like she would kill me if I spent anymore :D

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
Because of all the good reviews of Frosts Mora knives here, I went and got my first one today. I'm informed that it is a 700 Master Series (740) in High Carbon with Olive green handle/sheath. I was also informed that this is the standard issue knife for the Swedish forces?. It looks the same as the upper one that Viking had photographed in his post.

In all, I like the feel and use of the knife so far!

Stu

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
laurens ch said:
Rocket if you hone back to the good steel it will hold an edge much longer,it will take an incredibely sharp edge too.

Will do. I will also be putting a more angled (90 degrees) edge on the back of the knife to use with the firesteel, as at the moment I can only get a good spark towards the point. That said, I made good use of it today, and also enjoyed my first bannock :D

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE