Mora 840MG Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 24, 2011
United States
Okay, so not all of us have our own TV show and can afford a 400+ dollar (£450) knife *coughRAYMEARScough* so a bushcraft knife which is around $10 (round £6) is pretty damn cool, considering most knives around that price haven't even been tempered The Mora however, preforms as well and out preforms knives 20 times it's price. Not to mention you won't mind actually using it, the thing being virtually disposable! Right, enough of my babbling, let's get onto the review shall we? :red:

Specifications

The overall length of the knife is 8.7 inches ( 22cm). Blade is 4.2 in with a 4.5 in handle. (10cm blade 11cm handle) Just about the size of a Lauri 95, or about any standard size puukko.

It is very light, and I mean REALLY light, being 2.7 oz without the sheath and 3.8 with. ( do I have to convert these too? okay, 76 grams w/o sheath, 107 with).

The blade is 0.08 inches thick, .20 cm, so quite thin. but remember a thicker blade is more steel, and steel costs money!

Overview

Morakniv002.jpg

Morakniv001-1.jpg

The Mora Clipper is made of regular carbon steel, probably 1095 or similar. The temper is great, it holds an edge really well. The handle is Polymer plastic, in this case military green, which is strong yet very lightweight. It has a coating of checkered rubber which provides a very good grip.
The knife is not full tang, the tang only extends a little less than half of the handle. However the polymer holds it in very well, and I have heard very few stories of Moras breaking.
The sheath
The sheath is also polymer plastic, strong yet light. It's a simple pouch style sheath, and it holds the knife in very well.
The belt hoop is a simple clip, which allows you to take it off without removing your belt, which in a public place makes it look as if you are going to take your trousers off :cool:

Morakniv005.jpg

Morakniv004.jpg

Testing

Morakniv003.jpg

The humble Mora preforms exceptionally well for it's price, the thin blade and Scandinavian grind allows it to slice through wood making it great for carving.

Morakniv007.jpg

I also should mention that the spine of the knife throws massive gobs of sparks on a ferro rod, it is one of the best knives for this IMO.

Good points

Cheaper than dirt
Lightweight
Sparks well on a firesteel
Feels good in hand
Thin blade is great for carving

Bad points

Not full tang
Not as pretty as a $300 knife

So, the Mora Clipper, overall a great knife, especially for the price, you Swedes sure know how to make a mean knife Highly recommended :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good review mate, nice and clear! $400 is £270 though ;)

Have you used many other knives? The thin blade of a mora is great for sliceing and woodwork but a thick blades have advantages too.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Haha don't worry mate it happens, I'm very impressed you bothered/managed to convert the weight and specs though! Most Americans I know don't even know what a centemeter is!

Like I said though good review, I'd like to see a few more reviews from you. The only mora I have is the limited edition 510 and it cuts very well.

May 24, 2011
United States
Actually it was no bother just used Google lol, must have misread the numbers :tapedshut:
I'll definitely be doing more reviews, maybe some videos too, once I can stop saying 'um' all the time lol.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
It always amazes how good these things are. When price is considered they get even better and since they are so affordable you don't mind beating on them.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The knife is not full tang, the tang only extends a little less than half of the handle.

In the latest version of the Clipper, now known as the Companion, Mora have made the tang longer (but thinner):

Your knife has the older style of handle chequering, but the newer MoraKniv blade etching and sheath, so I'm not sure if it has the short tang of the Clipper or the longer one of the Companion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE