<Moleskins for bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I was vaguely aware of the material but never encountered any over here. That changed when I discovered Spencers trousers in W Yorkshire. Now, 3 wool and 3 Moleskins later I unceremoniously tossed my bluejeans; that iconic American staple I've always hated. I wore them in a bone crushing wind and fell in love.
People push the panic button over 'cotton kills' and I'm , uh in a multi year drought? I don't think California, and our coming summer are ready for Plus 4s. Afre there dedicated outdoor trousers or should I just effect the landed gentry look?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think it is a German copy, I have a few pairs with two different kind of fabric, one thinner one thicker. OK for everyday life, don't get them wet in the outdoors.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
California has seasonal high winds called Santa Annas that bring our seasonal wildfires. I tried baselayers with wool, added rain chaps and then was overheated. I slipped into my Moleskins and a
GLOVERALL duffle acquired with my second stimulus cheque to re kickstart the US economy ( you want my money make their equal domestically and not overseas people.)
I did a survey in our high desert near Edwards AFB. Wind was blowing tumbleweeds, coyotes and little green men past me. I was COMFORTABLE with the rest of the crew asking which mall I bought them at?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The last two makers of the plain olive green German army moleskin uniforms are Anton Bloechel and Leo Köhler.
Köhler produces in an own factory in Tunesia, Bloechel in eastern Europe and keeps as a business secret where it is done exactly.

I think both deliver to the German army too, nowadays the Flecktarn uniforms.

Both make the uniforms according to BW specifications but don't get the plain green high quality fabrics anymore. Nevertheless these trousers are very well made, offered in incredible many sizes and prettiy cheap.

Both generally sell via surplus shops and work wear shops and should be found in most countries. If your local workwear, hunting or surplus shop is interested they surely will accept him as a partner.
For a small shop Bloechel is surely the more interesting partner, because he offers the very good BW field shirt, the German mess kit and other interesting items that Köhler doesn't offer.

Don't get me wrong!
We talk here about trousers for California!

I am glad that I did wear off my last two pairs of these trousers last year and will for sure not buy them any more for use in Germany. These trousers need 3 times longer to dry than the for Germany by far superior Flecktarn trousers of the same makers. The green ones have a thick 100% cotton fabric, the Flecktarn trousers a thinner 70 % cotton 30 % polyester fabric. There is a reason why the German army changed the uniform fabrics.

The green ones can't be recommended for Bushcraft and hiking in Europe for everything northern Milano.
In central and northern Europe the Flecktarn trousers or for example the Austrian army trousers in the 50:50 polycotton version are the far better choice.

(I wear instead of it, due to the civil look, usually the very similar and very cheap Solognac Steppe 300 trousers. 65% cotton, 35% polyester. They are relatively fast drying. But here do not fit thick longjohns underneath. If you want that, have a look at the currently everywhere cheap available Austrian Army trousers and field uniforms!)

Cotton doesn't kill. That's nonsense. The whole NATO did wear thick cotton uniforms for decades.
But the stuff was mainly bought because it's flame retardant. For civil use a polyester-cotton or nylon-cotton blend fabric is for sure the best choice in most weather conditions in the most areas of the world. I wear pure cotton only in hot climates.

The 20% polyester containing Bloechel BW shirt is very good by the way.
I don't wear anything else most time of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kav

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE