Modifying a hennesey?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
although I think my hennesy expedition is a great hammock, im having trouble accepting the fact that Im totally cocoonned in. Id like to at least be able to reach out over the side, if not have full side access. I feel it could be improved with a zip between the mozzie net and the hammock, but as the mozzie net seems to be taking some of the weight, would this modification compromise the design? Im not planning on modding it myself, Id send it to someone who knew what the were doing, I just want to know if it is possible and if anybody has tried it before. The zip wouldnt need to go all the way, just perhaps 1 foot wide.

I dont really need the hennesey to be totally closed in as Im not (so far as I know) using it in any tropical places.

anybody done this or been tempted?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
cheers twodogs, what a great site. If a company can make their money from modifying hennesey then what do you want to bet the next hennessey incorperates the zip itself. poor design planning I reckon.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sometimes it's good to have that closed in feeling Lindsey but I know what you mean. I haven't bothered modding mine I just use a seperate tarp and hammock most of the time now.

It think I've hung on to mine for when I know there's going to be lots of bitey things like on the coast of Scotland etc, rather than messing about with a mossie net for a normal hammock I can just grab the HH.

They do have a feeling of being like a tent in mid air and that closed in feeling is half the attraction for some people.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I suppose some people might like it, but I can have the closed in feeling with a zip as well, I just want immediate access to the outside world :)

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I have his N02 mod on my HH: 1 full zip and 1 half zip. Cost $50 plus postage which with the current exchange rate is going to be £100 or so !

I found the use of an underbalnket much easier and warmer as no extra slack is required to get in.

Zipping up when inside is hard for a 5ft5in undertall bloke but when there are no midges about I shall top load rather than enter through the birth canal.

Thoroughly recommend the modifier just a shame he's in the USA

Hope that helps Alan

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
cheers twodogs, what a great site. If a company can make their money from modifying hennesey then what do you want to bet the next hennessey incorperates the zip itself. poor design planning I reckon.

Mr hennssy didn't do a bad design remember these hammocks were designed with lightness in mind so if you add a zip you add to the weight therefore running the orig design goal.
However that said, I modified myself I have now a zip that runs the complete length of the hammock and one on the other side running half way allows me to get in from the top and to lean out and get my stuff..
I also sewed up the entrance hole from below

It works great I can go naked or non naked ;)

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE