Modern army sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
No they are not, but invariably, quality costs.
Did you read his whole pitch?
I received one of his catalogues years ago, and he completely and utterly convinced me. No fancy pictures, no good looking models pretending to be out camping, blah, blah, blah. Just several pages of text. That text convinced me that Wiggys are the only sleeping bags worth getting.
When entire units of US Special Forces units buy his bags out of their own wallet, this makes me think there is something to what he claims. When on virtually every military kit forum that I go to, people sing the praises of Wiggys bags, I think there has to be something to them. And my own experiences leave me with undeniable proof that they are the greatest sleeping bags on the planet.
Jerry is a very uncompromising individual. He tends to wee a lot of people off, but those are usually the manufacturers of inferior quality products.
His newsletters are definitely worth reading. Lots of reading there, but if you want an alternate take on a lot of stuff out there in the world of outdoor gear. Virtually heretical, but judge for yourself.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yes basically the ideal of the burst out zip is so a soldier can get out his bag and fight quickly - remember when fully tac the squaddies sleep fully clothed. The reason the zip is on top and not down the side is also becuase 'in theory' it is easier to open as there is less chance of you laying on it.

Going back to the other points mentioned - Arctic down bags as John mentioned are rare but well worth the pennies if you find them, just remember to use a bivi bag to protect it and the bag will serve you well for many moons - but then I would say that as I sell em.

58 Bags are excellent too - but dont but old ones - look for new and long - theae are becoming available too.

Hope that helped a little.

Mar 2, 2004
true true exploriment. i wouldnt dispute the point at all. they look like smashing bags and well worth the money ...i just aint got it to spend on a bag. but then i wouldnt buy one of those ray mears knives either,but hey ...some people drive minis and some drive jags..if you get my meaning.with me its cost v functionality and the right balance between the two.

good link too m8.

do you know my uncle ? he lives in canada too.lol. :-D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've got a Snugpak Softie 6 kestrel. The big advantage of this bag over the military issue stuff is weight and Tardis-like pack size. They claim comfortable to 0 celsius and OK to -5. I always find these ratings (from every manufacturer) over optimistic - this might be just me and your mileage may vary, as they say.

However, I find it to be very comfortable down to 2 celsius, used with a tent and wearing a T shirt. In fact, this is ideal if, like me, you're mainly out and about April to October, as at worst you can sleep in your fleece or Swannie and be fine. Add a liner and you can cope with worse temperatures still. Definitely not as warm as the 58 pattern army bag, and does not feel as robust, but about a third of the size. About £60.

I note the Wiggys chap is very critical of Snugpak - I'd be inclined to take this as a recommendation.

Mar 2, 2004
i know it was mild at the weekend but i had a brilliant nights kip in the modern bag i got from ebay ,plenty of room for a big lad like my myself and the break ut zip function worked well at one stage..to let some of the heat OUT!

most impressed. :-D

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Just my 2p worth , went camping with the kids last bank hols, in a tent with my issue bag , 1st night I was freezing but the second night I used my bivvy bag and was as warm as toast

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE