MOD Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
As Ebay have now stopped selling knifes , Where can I get a MOD survival knife ?
Any hints and tips on spotting a genuine one ?
Is there any real advantage wood over plasic handle ?
Yes I know thay are regarded as rubbish but thats part of the fun .
Twodogs

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi todogs have you tried army surplus stores thay usually have genuine ex mod knifes in and thay are usually stamped with a crows foot . as for the handles wood has a lot more character in it take a look in my thread ( 2 years in the making ) you will see what i mean cheers stanley

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
they aren't rubbish,

When I taught Bushcraft & Survival professionally a few years ago I used two knives for everything!

a Gerber multi-tool, for fiddly stuff and an MOD survival knife for everything else.
everyone who tried it wanted one. no doubt someone will say "don't get one", but I used mine day in day out for years, I've never had a problem with it, i say they're pretty darn good!

lots of people poo-poo the idea, but most people don't know that even Ray mears use one when he published his first book "the survival handbook"!

I used it mostly for chopping through saplings up to 6" diameter, but it will also plane wood and you can easily make things like tent pegs etc.
also a hammer, log splitter, I've used all sorts of axe's but i prefer the MOD Knife as it is so much more versatile.

But because of the constant negative views i made a toy car for my son, just with the MOD knife just to prove you can carve with one!

(plus you'll never break it!;)

You can buy them you just have to get them over the counter at surplus shops.
Hoopers in Norwich sell them.

rich

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I don't think there rubbish they just have there place, and that is generally in the arctic chopping things! mine has on the blade the NATO stock number "5110-99-127-8214" and "J.ADAMS 1995" and an issue mark. I don't know of any advantage with either wood or plastic slabs. I found mine to be a very effective knife for the task of arctic survival, it is one hell of knife to re-shape the grind though, but thats more me needing a lower grit stone I think. you can pick them up at most surplus site such as Silverman's or surplus and adventure though i don't know if they are mod issue or copy's.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Stanley , I was up at anchor suplies today mooching about and thay had some in with the wood handle with the crows foot on the handle but no markings on the blade ,
To be honest the wooden handle was a terrible fit and would of trashed me hand in use .
This made me wonder about them being genuine or maybe seconds ?
Twodogs

pwb

Stanley , I was up at anchor suplies today mooching about and thay had some in with the wood handle with the crows foot on the handle but no markings on the blade ,
To be honest the wooden handle was a terrible fit and would of trashed me hand in use .
This made me wonder about them being genuine or maybe seconds ?
Twodogs

I have an old genuine issue MOD survival knife with the wooden handles and copper rivets, It also has no mark on the blade.
I think the handle is designed with over sized scales, I heard the principle behind this was to avoid touching the steel in Arctic conditions although it doesn't really do that well.

I must admit I quite like the knife but don't use it much.

Pete.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I have one of these beauties - Bought it on this very site last year! It's got the NATO numbers and crow foot on the wooden handle same as PUUB's in the post above this one.

I heard that the handle is over sized so you can carve it to fit your grip. Don't know whether that's true or not but mine is nice and comfy now.

There is a thread somewhere about a moded survival knife - the person took the cross guard off and rehandled it so it looks more bushy.

Magentus

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I have one of these, I broke the scales hammering it into some wood and then chipped the blade when I was prying some tacks out of an old clothes horse when I fitted new leather hinges.:D

I will get it out tomorrow and fix it. I always thought it was a good knife, until I abused it.:lmao:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
some very snobby bushcrafters wouldnt be seen dead with one yet carry billhooks. hmmm... similar dont you think? iv never used one but i would like to give one a try:) but personly i think £45 is way overpriced:eek: wilkinsons sword used to make them untill sheffield won the new contract. the WS knife is the same shape and size exept it has a full convex grind and the finish is much better. i wouldnt think twice if i found one:D

pete

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
a Gerber multi-tool, for fiddly stuff and an MOD survival knife for everything else.
everyone who tried it wanted one. no doubt someone will say "don't get one", but I used mine day in day out for years, I've never had a problem with it, i say they're pretty darn good!

Don't get one.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Speak to Andy on British Blades, he can get the basic knife with a slightly different grind ready for you to fit the scales of your choice. In fact, he may be a member here too! As I recall, they aren't more than twenty quid, could be even less but I cannot remember for sure.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Cheers for all the info Gents.
I will hunt one down on monday maybe give SASS a bell .
Twodogs
£45 at SASS, £36 at Penrith Survival.

I had one of these (from SASS), had it for years, sharpened it to perfection, then got bored with it, and sold it on ebay (wish I'd kept it).

They are what they are, a short, heavy, simple chopping knife, that takes up less room than an axe. I'd recommend one, it's got more flexibility than a small axe.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've had one since 1986. It's a great utility knife. At it's limits it can whittle, skin and chop as well as split big trees. It's not gucchi but relatively cheap and robust. Top knife- I'm a big fan.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I used one for years, I got one out of an aircraft ejection seat survival pack when they were replaced by swiss army knives.

A very robust knife and a capable tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE