Mocotaugan Knife Build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Brought to you through the generosity of "tombear" who provided the Sheffield Blade.
This is probably the design purchased by the barrel by the Hudson's Bay Company for the fur trade. Certainly by the mid-1700's in eastern North America.
The knife was the bushcraft essential for native people through out the eastern part of the continent, those in the "birch building region".
Birch is uncommon west of the mountains where spruce, cottonwood, alder and western red cedar are the multipurpose trees.

I have studied fewer than 50 pictures of these knives = they are all different from eachother: handles, haftings and blade sweeps.
So, I cooked it up with birch as I might build an otherwise typical Pacific Northwest crooked knife.

1. 8.57" long, 1" x 3" tang. The blade is so flexible that I supported it as I revised the bevel to 12 degrees with chalk and chainsaw files.
2. Using a can for a mandrel, I refined the bevel with 400, 600, 800 & 1500 grits then honed with CrOx/AlOx on card stock. You can see my reference angle card which I use for consistency with all 12(?) of my crooked knives.
3. & 4. The whipping is #24 copper wire which stretched but is not elastic. So, some days later, the whipping is quite sloppy. The thumb notch is 1.25" too far from the blade. The next handle will, of course, be shorter and I will use #18 tarred nylon seine cord for the whipping.

MocoB_zps152c2f18.jpg

MocoC_zpsc2aa8031.jpg

MocoG_zps6d4349ea.jpg

MocoE_zpsafa569d7.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
This is my first and only Mocotaugan blade. Maybe a dozen shorter crooked blades hafted in the Pacific Northwest style.
If I needed to shape birch canoe ribs, paddles, pack frames or snowshoe frames, the Moco knife would trump
anything else that I use for carving.

The stretched copper was not unexpected. I've seen some knife pictures with iron, brass or copper whipping.
I just happen to have a BIG spool of #24.
I have seen several which used rawhide. I presume it was soaked and wrapped wet for the usual shrinkage as it dried.
I've got a spool of tarred #18 nylon seine cord which should be just elastic enough to be ideal for this task.
The blade had 2 holes in the tang so after carving a 10 degree blade seat, I assembled the knife dry (no epoxy, etc).
Might get a start on a new & shorter handle today. Still hoping to imagine some totally ridiculous carving for it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mocotaugan Knife Rebuild. Just to keep it all in one thread.

The copper whipping continued to stretch. The thumb notch was about 1.25" too far away from the blade.
Every time that I picked it up, the blade was angled so strongly towards me, I wondered how I could carve anything.
So, I took it apart and carved a new handle in birch.

The eyes are brass dust from a key-cutting machine.
The whipping is tarred #18 nylon seine net twine (just ever so little elastic.)
The blade is now 3 ways crooked = the sweep of the tip, the angle to the surface hafting
and the axis of the edge is twisted away from the axis of the handle.
Won't be too much longer to get some fresh birch to work with.

MocoH_zpspkprykov.jpg

MocoI_zps5pfjwjgu.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE