MLD Trailstar - My first pitch!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Took some pics of my first Trailstar pitch prior to me sealing. Going to wait until morning and then check see if anything needs patching up before my trip on saturday.

Was really easy to setup as I have been doing a lot of reading and watching videos during my 8 weeks wait (which was a killer as I get bored after 3 days waiting for mail). So it felt like I had done it before. Didnt get a perfect as pitch as I wanted but had limited space and just wanted to get it pitched enough to apply seal.

The seam sealing was a bit messy and not as neat as I would like but main thing is that it should now be proofed. I decided to go with 3:1 ratio of sealant and thinner so it seeped into stitching better instead of applying straight from tube and having a thicker coating that would likely break or just make it look even uglier etc.

I decided to go with 60cm guys on each point with a Anglers loop on end and then a separate 2.5m length of 2mm Dyneema to attach to the loop (Via small crab) of the side that ends up been door at pitch. It seems many people create a dedicated door (usually on the MLD logo) however I went with this way because it makes pitching much easier as you're not faffing about looking for door end or back end, You just peg first point down and then work from that.

All in all I think this looks and sounds and awesome tent and really looking forward to spending first night in it and also looking forward to view in morning when I'm out in hills.

Oh and it's true what they say, pics/vids simply do not do this shelter justice, It's HUGE inside. A beautiful silnylon palace!!

Will post some more pics after I've been out in it :)

iZ8bfWs.png
hUYMbQc.png

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great stuff mate, glad to see it out an sealed straight away.

maybe not 100% necessary but might be worth putting a bit of sealant on the inside where the hooks are attached, mine developed a drop on one of them after about 8 months, no problems since putting some sealant on it

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Welcome to the Mountain Limpet Owners Club

Best sub kilo shelter on the planet, fact :)

.. or is it the Duomid?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice one Adam, a thing of beauty for sure :). Gonna be a good test this weekend. Looks wet!

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Welcome to the Trailstar club! I wouldn't go back now, I'm even considering selling my Hammock set up. It truly is a palace for one and even fits 2 with comfort and room to spare, I also went with a 3:1 ratio for sealing and I haven't had a leak yet, although it's only been out in light rain. I don't think I'll tire of the view from inside, by the way give the door at a corner pitch a go for even more room and views!

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Great stuff mate, glad to see it out an sealed straight away.

maybe not 100% necessary but might be worth putting a bit of sealant on the inside where the hooks are attached, mine developed a drop on one of them after about 8 months, no problems since putting some sealant on it

Ah thanks for heads up on that bud. I put plenty on outside so should be fine but will put a bit extra on inside at hook points.

Happy with the pack as well?

Not used it yet but on viewing it in vids and in flesh I really like the design and quality :)

How did you get on with yours in the TGO?

Welcome to the Mountain Limpet Owners Club

Best sub kilo shelter on the planet, fact :)

.. or is it the Duomid?

Trailstar will be good enough for me for a good while, It's ticked all my boxes. :)

...Trying to hold off on looking too much into any cuben goodness as I know what I'm like. :D

Nice one Adam, a thing of beauty for sure :). Gonna be a good test this weekend. Looks wet!

Yeah, think I'm going to give Saturday a miss now chief. Not down for sitting outside in thunderstorms next to a alloy pole lol

Welcome to the Trailstar club! I wouldn't go back now, I'm even considering selling my Hammock set up. It truly is a palace for one and even fits 2 with comfort and room to spare, I also went with a 3:1 ratio for sealing and I haven't had a leak yet, although it's only been out in light rain. I don't think I'll tire of the view from inside, by the way give the door at a corner pitch a go for even more room and views!

Indeed. It's mahoooosive inside :)

Yeah I like the look of that pitch if its the one I'm thinking of. Get a very wide and open view :)

...you mean this pitch?

webtrailstarRyanShauers.gif

Last edited:

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Great that mate. I've had mine for a few years now and haven't used it yet! I really need to get out hill walking again and take it with me instead of the north face solo I used to use.

Mind you I have been waiting 12 months for my ooknest to arrive.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Looks fantastic, you going with a inner or just using it as a tarp?

Will be using polycro ground sheet and Alpkit Hunka or Borah Bivy :)

Great that mate. I've had mine for a few years now and haven't used it yet! I really need to get out hill walking again and take it with me instead of the north face solo I used to use.

Mind you I have been waiting 12 months for my ooknest to arrive.

Talk to bank and get charges reversed. I would never wait that long.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Yes that's the pitch, I used it at Rough Close and in my garden when testing, in sheltered spots I think it will be awesome.
1972286_688202897885092_1650770586_n.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE