Miniature housemartins?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I actually know what made these thimble sized mud homes, do you?

D1951015-74F5-41FB-AEEF-BDBB24668F21.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
looks like the work of a potter wasp to me, though I couldn't say to species. Lovely find.

If that's the same as a mud dauber, then I agree (although you're really the expert). Was in a spiral around a hazel sapling that was rather soggy with dead grass, attached to the bamboo cane

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If that's the same as a mud dauber, then I agree (although you're really the expert). Was in a spiral around a hazel sapling that was rather soggy with dead grass, attached to the bamboo cane

Yes it is. I have never seen one, but familiarity with my books allowed me to recognise it. Apparently finding the pots can be difficult, so well done. The female wasp will stock the pot with paralysed insect larvae (usually caterpillars) and then lay an egg in it and put a lid on it.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Unfortunately, I think I knocked the pots off when I put the spiral back on but hopefully there'll be more elsewhere. It is lovely to lie down in the meadow and see all the different species that abound in such a small spot (although the peace is rather marred by the dogs panting and thrashing around)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's just lovely to see the biodiversity in our small patch of England whereas next door have sheep grazing and only have grass.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are a lot of studies out there that show that sheep and goat grazing is the major factor in encouraging deserts.
It's only that our climate is considerably damper that stops it happening here.

M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was lying down in the grass this morning making a phone call. Within a foot radius of my head there were at least 4 different species of spider, plus numerous flies, ants etc. Well worth getting down to their level for a bit

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cool picture Spandit. Is the colour in the picture tye colour they were in the flesh, or is my screen acting up?
On my phone they show as a purpley-blue colour, a bit like grape flavour chewing-gum.
Is it mud or some sort of fibre pulp? And if so do you know the source due to the colour?
Nice looking wee things and a good spot.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Cool picture Spandit. Is the colour in the picture tye colour they were in the flesh, or is my screen acting up?
On my phone they show as a purpley-blue colour, a bit like grape flavour chewing-gum.
Is it mud or some sort of fibre pulp? And if so do you know the source due to the colour?
Nice looking wee things and a good spot.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

It's probably the poor camera on my 'phone. It was just a brown soil colour (and they're made from mud)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE