Mini Review - Spec Ops Packrat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've always been a pack or bag fanatic. I have a bag for every occasion and have never found the ultimate carrying system (I expect I never will). Despite promises to myself that I would be minimalist in Bushcraft kit, I've already amassed four different packs and bags.

I seem to be edging towards "hi-tech" larger systems (like Karrimor) for longer excursions or old style true Bushcraft "possible pouches" for smaller trips. For work, I've tried pilot bags, briefcases, surplus haversacks, Samsonite kit, you-name-it. My latest is a Caselogic backpack from Dixons which suits me at the moment as it's a conservative black and large enough to carry a laptop around. Whatever the system, there's always one draw back. You have to load it and unload it with the bits you need. I enjoy doing this but it is a bit of a chore sometimes, especially when you have to pack and unpack the essential items like wallet, keys, phone, small first aid kit, torch, lighter, quick food (nuts), small SAK, multi-tool, binos from one carry system to another.

When I saw this thread...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9962&highlight=packrat I thought I had found the answer to my problems.
To get to the mini review as soon as possible, I'll summarise the logistical problems I had. You can then decide whether the pack is worth it:
1. Ordered in Dec 05 with Airsoft dynamics. Airsoft took my dosh. Airsoft stopped trading :cussing: Lost £25 :(
2. Ordered with this guy in US sig001arms on ebay. Message to say it's dispatched (really quick dispatch and I even got a refund on shipping cost :) ). Total cost £26-00. We're cookin'. After 10 days got a bit concerned. Contacted Parcelfarce - item had not been received in UK :( . Must have been ditched in the Atlantic then as USPS show it left Kennedy airport 10 days ago :confused: . Parcelfarce adamant not arrived in UK. Same day received a note to go to local post office and pay import tax of £9-95 :eek: Enough ranting.

Anyway, the pack is available in grey, black or olive. I elected for olive. It's made of strong codura with a webbing type strap going completely around the sides and top of the bag. This is stitched down at a key point allowing the pack to be lashed to other packs or the top of the webbing to be used as a carrying handle. Where the side is stiched there is a hard plastic D ring for connecting a strap (which bizzarly is not supplied and I believe is an extra $12). The main compartment has two toggled zips of good quality. There is a mesh pocket (no gusset) stretching along the front of the pack. This is closed by velcro. The back pocket is a non closing style slip pocket. The whole bag seems as though it will last a good while.

DSC00054.jpg

When the main compartment zip is opened, a pandoora's box of compartments is revealed. Ahh...this is what it's all about :D .

DSC00057.jpg

It boasts no less than 14 individual pockets, and they are all of a decent size (not like some urban packs). Of course there's room for pens, but also compartments deep enough for notebooks, multi-tools, SAK's. Most are gussetted, so there's plenty of expandability and your essential items (like wallets, mobiles etc) won't fall out. A back section has a velcro strap to keep a larger item strapped in securely. Between the two sides (in the main compartment) there is still room for other items.

The inside (as you can see) is err...yellow :confused: . This is designed to show the content easier when in another bag. And guess what...it works too.

Two naff items are the "gear keeper leash" with a cheap plastic hook and the transparent pocket, which they've half sewed up when stitching in another compartment. Therefore you can't get anything of a decent size in it!

Now the really clever bit...the bag can be opened 90 degrees so that it's flat or even turned inside out so that it can be dropped into other bags so that all the compartments are outward facing. I would do this inside out manoever with care or the contents will tend to fall out :D

DSC00061.jpg

It's not really a bag to field test, but I've "dropped it" it into all the bags I have, and it seems to be just the right size (10"x7"x2" approx) for shoulder and back packs of all sizes except for packs over 50 litres. In these cases, I have put it on externally (usually in a front mesh pocket). It can (with a suitable strap) be used on it's own as a shoulder bag or small possibles bag. All essential items can now be transferred in one easy move.

Pros
Small enough to drop in to other bags
Lots of organiser compartments
Inside out design is great

Cons
Hassle and cost of ordering
No shoulder strap supplied
Keeper leash and transparent compartment

Best regards

Pablo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE