Mini feather sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Long time no post!.......... How is everyone? :sadwavey:
I'm not a big fan of non-natural tinders. You know..... the belly button fluff, and tumble dryer lint etc, etc. I much prefer finding natural tinders when out and about. The usual suspects like scraped cedar inner bark, birch bark, cramp ball fungus, wild clematis, honey suckle et all.
...........but I discovered that the wooden fish & chip fork thingy's you get from the local chippy make excellent mini feather sticks. Worth grabbing a handful and keeping them in your tinder pouch next time you're in the chip'ole. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Those wooden coffee stirrers usually find their way into my pocket too when I stop at the services. If they're going to charge me £4 for a brew then I'm getting my moneys worth :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Those wooden coffee stirrers usually find their way into my pocket too when I stop at the services. If they're going to charge me £4 for a brew then I'm getting my moneys worth :)

While you're at it, pick up a few bags of sugar. My grandma used to use it all the time to light her fire.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Blacksheep put me onto a winner. Fat Wood sold in packets at a garden centre!

If your going to carry anything into the woods to help you, this should be it. In my opinion off course :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
While you're at it, pick up a few bags of sugar. My grandma used to use it all the time to light her fire.

Not heard of that one ged, pray do ellaborate :)

Well, wood is mostly cellulose. Cellulose is strings of glucose molecules. And glucose is a sugar. So when you burn wood, you're basically burning sugar. Sucrose (the sugar that you buy in the supermarket) is glucose and fructose but they're both basically the same thing. You get around 4kWh/kg from burning sugar. It burns readily and controllably unless you mix it with something like a nitrate in which case it can get quite exciting.

You get a bit more energy per kilo from dry wood than you do from sugar because 25-30% of wood is lignin which has a bit less oxygen (and so more carbon and hydrogen) per molecule than the sugars. You get even more from pure hydrocarbons because there's no oxygen in them at all, they're just carbon and hydrogen.

Is that the sort of thing you meant? :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Well, wood is mostly cellulose. Cellulose is strings of glucose molecules. And glucose is a sugar. So when you burn wood, you're basically burning sugar. Sucrose (the sugar that you buy in the supermarket) is glucose and fructose but they're both basically the same thing. You get around 4kWh/kg from burning sugar. It burns readily and controllably unless you mix it with something like a nitrate in which case it can get quite exciting.

You get a bit more energy per kilo from dry wood than you do from sugar because 25-30% of wood is lignin which has a bit less oxygen (and so more carbon and hydrogen) per molecule than the sugars. You get even more from pure hydrocarbons because there's no oxygen in them at all, they're just carbon and hydrogen.

Is that the sort of thing you meant? :)

Yes ged..............that's exactly how I had it down :rolleyes: :campfire: :D

tuxdad

Feb 26, 2008
USA
So are you using your firesteel, to light the sugar or what ?? I'm pretty curious on this one..

Thanks,

Tux

ged

Jul 16, 2009
So are you using your firesteel, to light the sugar or what ?? I'm pretty curious on this one..

I've never tried to light sugar with a firesteel. Something to try when I'm out in the sticks sometime. :)

TBH I don't use firesteels much, just play with them now and again to remind myself really, although I have several stashed about in different packs and places Just In Case.

Sugar is just a convenient solid fuel. It's a lot harder to light than things like firelighters. When it gets hot it melts, then starts to char, and burns with an almost alcohol-like flame which leaves a deposit of practically pure carbon. The carbon will burn but not unless it's in a hot fire, which hopefully you've just got going. :)

Get one of those little sachets of sugar and put a match to it, see what happens?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE