Mini Expeditions

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I have a hunger for wilderness. I'm lucky enough to be heading for Canada next Summer but not sure I can wait that long!

So I was thinking, given access to low cost flights, where could you head off to for a couple of nights or long weekend away and do a bit of walking, see some great country and camp out in somewhere well out of the way?

Iceland came to mind or maybe Norway. How and where though?

Who is up for a mini expedition?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
You don't have to go very far at all. Breacon Beacons, Snowdonia, Scotland, all within a short trip, and could give plenty for a few days of wilderness.

If you do want to leave the UK, Mountains of Slovakia? Bavaria? Norway?

J

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Michael I like the idea of doing that in summer. I'm not an intrepid snow type! Brrr.

I had thought about hitting the Highlands, Beacons is just down the road indeed but Slovakia, Bavaria and Norway already smack of a bit more adventure. Any particular favourites amongst these?

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I'd like to watch this thread as well. A 3-5 day bank holiday not-quite-long-enough-to-count-as-a-vacation trip would serve me well. The notion of a "mini expedition" is one I can process easily.

For many of us, traveling to Scotland might be just as expensive as Germany or Scandinavia, but traveling with gear might be far more easier. Still, I would seriously consider something a bit more exotic. It might worth cross-posting this at British Blades, whose membership seems more European than ours. Many of those knife-makers are outdoorsman and might be interested in being the local contact. They might also enjoy having us use/review their knives.

As someone who might not be up for a multi-day hike, I'd like to suggest a canoe trip. Some of those paddling folks from that forum (the name escapes me) might not mind having a few landlubbers along for a ride.

I could also easily be convinced to do a cold-weather adventure.

… so I too will watch this thread closely. In fact: put me down as seriously interested in a quick mini-adventure.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
That's the beauty of Vattlefjall; it's just outside Gothenburg but feels quite remote, especially when you get off the well used trails, and if you use the shelters, you don't even have to take your tent, keeping the weight down. You'll also be able to buy all the food that you need locally.

I first visited the area in late summer / early autumn, and it was as beautiful then as in winter.

Cheers, Michael.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I am planning to take my van from Harwich over to Norway, Finland, Sweden (via denmark) next year. My intention is to drive to a suitable area of wilderness, leave the van and take a wander, kayak around , you know the drill. I was going to go solo, but I could be persuaded to take along a like minded chap or two. I'll watch this thread, as travel costs could work out cheaper for a small group. Forgot to mention I'll be doing a couple of Scottish mini wanders too, over the course of five days at a time.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As someone who doesn't fly, if you want a weekend away, then it's going to be in the UK, so Breacons or Highlands. If the former, I can recommend Talybont-on-usk as a base to work from. Spent a lovely week there recently.

If the highlands, get a train to Fort William, and then go for a walk, seems the traditional approach. Others may be able to give more useful info on that one.

If you want Bavaria, Get a Eurostar to Brussels, a City night line train over night to Munich, then a local train up into the mountains.

Slovakia is a bit harder, but you can get to Gothenburg from the Uk easily, Eurostar to Brussels, then a night train to Kopenhagen, then the X2000 to Gothenburg...

Enough about trains...

What sort of thing do you want from your expedition? A few days in a wilderness away from it all? Base in one place and do day hikes? Achieve something?

Have you considered doing something like the Breacon Beacons way? Maybe walk the Ridgeway? The West Highland way?

Lots of options.

Julia

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've been having similar thoughts except on a lesser budget than any cheap flights, my criteria is where i get on a Megabus and any cheap connections with Newcastle as my start point, i've been genuinely delighted and surprised with the results and more importantly the lack of costs involved, my first expedition leaves Monday 4am.

Nice walk that one,

11641-1407546474-31fe36f7d898fdc203a28f4a96234f69.jpg

shame about the foot traffic though

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE