Millbank Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Just a quick heads up, as I know a lot of people are still looking for these. They are on Ebay again, at the stonking price of £6 BIN plus postage.

Considering I've seen these go for £15-£20 and up at auction, might be worth getting a quick grab by some on here who need it.

No connection to seller etc.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Cheers for the heads up. I can only find the £9 one aswell, but its bought anyway - still cheaper than the ones I have previously been unsuccessfully bidding on!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Sorry lads, the seller at £6 was 'field sales', seems all 9 he had went in less than an hour!

Glad you got the £9 ones at least. I've seen one go for £24 at an auction not that long ago. Crazy.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
It's only tightly woven canvas as mentioned here

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3623&highlight=milbank

( A couple of familiar user names on that thread):)

There's a UK company called Kayospruce that sells marine canvas if that's any kind of a lead for the material? ( no connection to the company, I just remember enquiring about heavy duty zips, many years ago,and they sent me a catalogue which had canvas in it)

Good luck !

yes i know we want to belive we are back to robin hoods time in the woods but it does make me laugh so hard, theres tackle tarts her who have to buy the most latest and technological advanced kit and yet everyone still thinks milbank bags are the holly grail, later on today i will put a posting together and see if i can drag some neanderthals into the 21st century. and as for me I am paying a fiver for the same equipment and thats proberly better to do the job

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
yes i know we want to belive we are back to robin hoods time in the woods but it does make me laugh so hard, theres tackle tarts her who have to buy the most latest and technological advanced kit and yet everyone still thinks milbank bags are the holly grail, later on today i will put a posting together and see if i can drag some neanderthals into the 21st century. and as for me I am paying a fiver for the same equipment and thats proberly better to do the job

I think because most folk like to have a billy on the boil over a fire, using the Millbank to get out the debris works really well. Especially when they only cost £2.50 a pop a few years ago.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Regards what they are made from, I'm not 100% sure it's just any old canvas.

I remember a while back people said it was artists canvas, and made some out of that. I looked at those, and looked at mine, using my hand held 100x magnifier, and the weave etc looked decidedly different.

Who knows?

Anyways, they may be old tech, but they work a treat, take almost no looking after, no space in your pack and cost not a lot. Got to be a win, really.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

if you can get one for a good price, they are solid, light and WORK, whats your problem with people wanting to use what ever they want:confused:

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
i dont have a problem , with mil bags what i have a problem with is people paying twenty hard earned quid when the modern proberly and better bags cost a fiver thats all. i use a modern filter bag that is capable to filter down to thousands to remove yeast from my home made wines and some that i can get can even filter out the colour of the wine so i am very certain it can clear out water bourne bugs

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
i dont have a problem , with mil bags what i have a problem with is people paying twenty hard earned quid when the modern proberly and better bags cost a fiver thats all. i use a modern filter bag that is capable to filter down to thousands to remove yeast from my home made wines and some that i can get can even filter out the colour of the wine so i am very certain it can clear out water bourne bugs
There are modern bags? I havent seen any around, where you get them? I didn't want it "because its a millbank bag", I wanted it because I wasnt aware of any alternative products. Please enlighten us.
I agree over £20 is a rip-off for a millbank bag, which is why I hadnt bought one till now.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There are modern bags? I havent seen any around, where you get them? I didn't want it "because its a millbank bag", I wanted it because I wasnt aware of any alternative products. Please enlighten us.
I agree over £20 is a rip-off for a millbank bag, which is why I hadnt bought one till now.

You can get filters off of ebay that are used for making bio-diesil that are as fine filterer as a milbank if not finer but unlike Hedgerowpete I still wouldn't trust it to get all the nasties out and would still boil it to make sure it was safe to drink

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull

I agree with this, can you give us a name/link on your modern equivalent? I thought millbanks were the only option....
That said I'd always used an old 'Buffs' to filter with as I'd never been able to get a Millbank previously, im happy to pay £9 for one.

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
to make sure i dont advertise people i know nothing about, i have typed the words " micron filter bag" into flea bay and found a few hundred replys, once you ignore the naff and fluff what i am looking at is a set of these bags three for a tenner is within my budgets cause i an tight.

now we look at the sizes, 10 micron with these bags will only remove the dirt and debre only and all bugs fly through it, the next size down is 5 micron and these will start to clean water from som bugs yeasts will not go through a 5 microm bag the next is ONE MICRON this puppy will remove almost all water bourne bugs and problems , when i used to live in africa and the middle east all our water went through a one micron filter and we were ok with drinking it.

most of the other types of water filtration work between 5 to 1 micron meshs so these seem to fit the bill,

then the last question is do they work, well i have been using one for several years and have never had a problems with the water

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Fair does, they look pretty good. How does the one micron bag fair in terms of speed?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE