Millbank Bag

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just bought a Milbank bag from ebay for £8.50 plus £2 postage and have a few questions about it. Not sure if its used or not.
Is that a decent price for one?
Any thing I should look for on it as in ware and tear?
Are they as easy to use as they look?
Do i need to do anything to it before I first use it?

Cheers

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
They said new/unused - if so its a good price from what I can gather - I had my eye on them too, but they went while I wasn't looking!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Sounds like a fair price.Is it dated?If it un used the canvas will feel sort of stiff.Any holes in it wouldnt be good!They are very easy to use.Just fill it up to the marked line hang it above your canteen.
If its new its worth soaking it and giving it a scrub.Dont use soap!Just water.They need 'seasoning'.Hth.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Dead easy to use and usually the only thing I carry for water treatment, just give it a wet before you use it and then hang it from a branch over your pot. A quick rollingboil and you're good to go

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Launditch is right, new ones definately need breaking in first. I chucked mine in the wash several times. I found that out the hard way in South Wales first time I tried it! :confused:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i got one brand new from a local surplus shop for a fiver, very stiff as said earlier. i also got one off ebay for a bargain as it was listed as 'strange army bag' lol, love badly listed items, it was dated 1945 in excellent used condition and got it for 99p bargain!
as per op, easy to use, light enough to not leave out of your kit.

resnikov

Had a play with my Milbank bag today, gave it a good soak. When I set it up to clean the dirty water (had full of soil in to big bowl of water), i poured the dirty water in and started to collect it when it got to the line on the bag. After I had about a jug full i check the water, nice and clear but had a green tinge to it!
Is this just the dye coming out of the bag? Should I just do what I have done already and try to get the color out?
Any ideas ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE