Millbank Bag?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh all anyone know where I can get a millbank bag from (survival school is sold out)? Or is there an effective way of fabricating something similar?
Cheers

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
All it is is a tightly woven canvas bag that filters out the big lumps!! You could knock one up out of some old cloth, denim or an old t shirt would work to a fashion. Boil the water to be safe.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks spamel, I currently use an old Buff's head tube to filter at the mo, my main querie was whether the MB bag was impegnated with any sort of chemical. Im ssure I could knock one up from some muslin or something then. :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
copper_head said:
Thanks spamel, I currently use an old Buff's head tube to filter at the mo, my main querie was whether the MB bag was impegnated with any sort of chemical. Im ssure I could knock one up from some muslin or something then. :)
Muslin may not be fine enough, the millbank bag feels like felt and it soaks through slowly. Don't forget you need to boil or chemically treat water even when it is filtered! :eek:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Aye, I realise the millbank only filters. I usually use iodine tincture or potassium permangenate to treat my water. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Millbank bags are made from canvas, and it is tightly woven. I think denim would be a fine substitute. Remember when collecting water, try to get it from the cleanest source to start with. Take it from the river instead of the lake, or the stream instead of the river. Also, be careful around agricultural areas, chemicals will build up in your body and may have a nasty effect. Boiling will not get rid of these, in fact they will concentrate the solution as you lose water to steam :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Pottasium permanganate is a bit old school too, I remember a thread that said this may no longer be a good thing to be using for water treatment. As a Royal Engineer I do a fair bit of in the field water purification, and the chemicals used are ridiculous. In my 30 years walking the planet, I've nevere even used puri tabs! Just boil it, you'll be just fine!!!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
yeah I agree, drinking water the colour of meths aint always good ;) , thanks.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
You can get them from here for £9 if you want to buy one mate,

it's the best price i've heard of recently i've seen them go for £30! :tapedshut

i agree with all that's been said, a finly woven cloth "will do" there are no added chemicals to milbanks just canvas!

go to scotland you don't even need to boil! ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, I have drunk from a little stream in the middle of Plymstock, flowing into a lake in a park as I recall. I was about 13 or 14 years old so it was before the industrial revolution and all!! I had no problems, I dunked my plastic beaker in to a fast flowing part of the stream and drank the water. It tasted great and i saw no side effects at all.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks brian, a very good price :), not sure how they justify charging an extra £16 for iodine tincture and neutralising tabs tho...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I tried a millbank bag out...

As I understand it, they not only provide the most basic filtering but the canvas allows the water within to evaporate having a cooling effect on the contents.

In reality, you need to soak the bag for 24 hours to allow the fabric to swell which is supposed to make it semi water tight... what a crock!

I soaked the bag for 24 hours, filled it and it leaked like a waterfall, soaked it for 24 more hours, still leaked, the water didn't sty in it long enough to cool and I wrote it off as basically just a waste of my time. the only thing i'm glad of is that it only cost a few quid. I donated mine to the dustman :rolleyes:

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hey squidders : it sound like your talking about the desert water bag and not a millbank bag...they are two different items of kit.....indeed the desert water bag is ment to evap to keep the contents cool...... :) vince g.11b inf...

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
With the potassium permananate, you can no longer get it here because of the war on terror.

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
i got two milbank bags,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,never used them, shame about the potasium, its good for cleaning cuts and injuries too,

IamSam

May 6, 2006
Lancaster
have been wanting to make my own millbank bag for a while now as have got a load of untreated canvas. Could any body give me a rough guess on the dimentions of these as i haven't seen one in the flesh.

thanks in advance.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, the dimensions vary. As I recall, there are two sizes on general issue. i gave mine away a few weeks ago though as I wasn't using it and somebody else wanted one. It was about six inches across and maybe a foot long. Make the bottom pointed and then the water will run from the lowest point. Stick an eyelet in the top to hang it from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE