Might need extra guylines.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
IMG_7006.png

A few miles up the road!

My science teacher daughter points out that one raindrop will punch straight through the roof at that speed!

Edited to add:
This is Midlands UK!

• Haha
Reactions: Ozmundo and Broch

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I didn't realise you were living in florida..I will pray for your safety, if you can't evacuate, move to higher ground, and take cover, we will send relief parcels if you need them.! ;)
Actualy ,joking aside, it's not a great moment to have a mistake like that is it?

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I didn't realise you were living in florida..I will pray for your safety, if you can't evacuate, move to higher ground, and take cover, we will send relief parcels if you need them.! ;)
Actualy ,joking aside, it's not a great moment to have a mistake like that is it?
The system seemed to have automatically triggered some specific 'hurricane force winds' warnings on BBC Weather for Devon earlier today; presumably once the forecast wind speed gets above a defined threshold it puts out the warning banner automatically.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I live on the Somerset Devon border. My weather app says windspeed of 10km per hour.
I'm not gonna worry just yet.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ll be interested in what caused the glitch. The storm on Jupiter “only” moves at around 650kph.
Why on Earth does our weather prediction system allow for estimations of such impossible conditions?

Edited to add:

……… without alerting the system operators.

The prediction must have appeared as a majority option across a lot of possibles.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Somerset, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire
I’ll be interested in what caused the glitch. The storm on Jupiter “only” moves at around 650kph.
Why on Earth does our weather prediction system allow for estimations of such impossible conditions?

Edited to add:

……… without alerting the system operators.

The prediction must have appeared as a majority option across a lot of possibles.

The website will take a number from somewhere, process it and sanitise it and then fart that number out onto the page you see. There are often calculations run to do things like round up/down to nearest decimal place, or convert from one unit of measurement to another.

Likely what happened is a developer put a decimal point in the wrong place, or added an extra number by mistake when working on the bit of code that turns the raw data into a presentable number for people to read on the website.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE