Might have just wasted my time (willow)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Next door has a willow shrub that I prune for them (as otherwise it wouldn't get done & would become an enormous tree)

Today, I cut about a hundred whips & spent some time pushing them into the ground in my garden, to disguise some ugly stock fencing. I know it's a bit late as they've already started to bud (before I cut them!) but do you think they'll take?

There's a bit left that I might try making a basket with, or is it the wrong time of year for that too?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
In my little experience they will take at any time, did you strip off some bark before sticking them in the floor?
If did mine at the wrong time of year and they all took, now my veg patch fence,

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
No, just shoved them in the ground!

I also pruned a grape vine that I moved last year. Thought it was dead but it's wet & green inside (lower down anyway) so struggling on! The blackcurrant I swapped places with it is doing well too

I don't like gardens that need a lot of maintenance & crops like bamboo & willow that I can harvest are always welcome. I've a sneaky respect for invasive plants...

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
The usual problem with willow is stopping it from growing! I've seen it shoot even after being planted upside down.
Yours should be fine, trimming them short will help (pencil length and width is s good guide for willow cuttings) and make sure they get enough water.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Yours should be fine, trimming them short will help (pencil length and width is s good guide for willow cuttings) and make sure they get enough water.

Ah, mine were 1-2m long, does this mean each whip could have provided several cuttings? Should I go round & trim them all now?

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Ah, mine were 1-2m long, does this mean each whip could have provided several cuttings? Should I go round & trim them all now?
They could be fine, although the longer the cutting the more work the plant has to do to sustain itself and you might get die-back at the end. I've no experience of using longer cuttings but lots of living willow sculptures use long rods. The key would be to keep them happy by keeping them weed free around the base and are watered well

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd cut them back. I generally don't leave more above ground than below it when I push them in as bare sticks. That way the damp bit in the ground doesn't need to support too much top heavy stuff that'll catch the wind anyway.

What you might do with some of the bits you cut off is to cut them down to a couple of handspans long and prop them into a water filled jar. Put them somewhere light but not full sun and keep them always in water. I'd be incredibly surprised if near all of them don't put down roots, and shoot out leaves. Those could then be your back up cuttings for any gaps in your main planting where the prunings don't grow.

It's amazing how quickly you can run out of places to dig in willow cuttings though :rolleyes: :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE