Midges

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland

We use these when things are really bad in Lapland. Much more effective than the plain net (mosquitos still bite your nose and ears)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh now that looks practical :approve:

Do those come with twist/ fold hoops Susi ? And, if so, do you think you could source a supplier who would post to Scotland and accept paypal ? :cool: :D

cheers,
Toddy

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Oh now that looks practical :approve:

Do those come with twist/ fold hoops Susi ? And, if so, do you think you could source a supplier who would post to Scotland and accept paypal ? :cool: :D

cheers,
Toddy

The hoops dont fold unfortunately, but the whole thing collapses to a "manageable" disc, about a foot diamter, easily tied to back of rucksack.

They are for sale here in shops for between 2 and 4 euros, but I don't know of anyone who supplies mail order, sorry :(

Just googled and found this:

http://www.argoss.co.uk/mosquito_net.html

Any good?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Susi :)

The problem with 'mosquito' nets is that generally they let midgies through :eek: :(
The anit midgie stuff is called No seeum mesh.

cheers,
Toddy

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
My pleasure :)

The net seems to keep out all the problem insect we have, we have one smaller than a mosquito which has a nasty bite, called "mäkäräinen", but the net seems to work ok for them. I remember those small black flies (came out at harvest time) in the UK, now they would prolly get through a net. Buggers :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The midge problem seems pretty bad this year - I was camping in Glen Etive last weekend and with no wind and muggy weather they were out in force. As bad as I have ever experienced.

Nobody agrees on midge repellents, but living in the highlands I have tried a great many. I used to prefer the herbal mozzi-off oil (contains neem and bog mytle) but last year I have gone over to 3M Ultrathon.

They spent a lot of money on Ultrathon and the research suggests it is the best stuff available for Anopholes mosquitos - of course the highland midge (Culcoides spp) is a different beast but I have been quite impressed. It is an emulsion of 33% deet and is nicer to use than other deet products. It also seems to last the advertised 12 hours, even when sweating. Standard price is £10 for a small tube but a surplus shop sell the civilian version for £3 a tube on ebay. It stops them biting but not landing.

Even so, repellent on its own still spells misery. I find the triad of ultrathon, head net and smudge fire works quite well.

Totally agree with the above.
Just checked out susi's link and they are selling, what appears to be, the military Ultrathon for £3 also!
worth checking out!
cheers
R.B.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I remember being in a MTB race in hamsterly forest and getting around 200 bites on each leg alone let alone the rest of my exposed skin on a hot day. I did not take the warning about insect repellent seriously.
had a sinliliar experience at a campsite on Loch Long until we moved out to the shore the following day where the breeze kept them away.
Covering up is about the only way to keep the things off.

I could imagine one the best ways to get information out a spy would be to stake them out naked in bad spot in scotland they would talk soon enough.:aargh4:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I could imagine one the best ways to get information out a spy would be to stake them out naked in bad spot in scotland they would talk soon enough.:aargh4:

We joke about 'Death by Midgie' as the ultimate punishment for really, really annnoying people :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE