Midge repellent recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Alreet.i'm off up Scotland for a long weekend next month so I'm looking for a decent repellent.anyone got a favourite brand they could recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
SMIDGE SMIDGE SMIDGE SMIDGE :lmao:did we not just do this thread?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
give me a second and i'll dig through my previous posts, there were many good recommendations

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Seems the thread was covering more than just midgies but the repellents all applied to midgies too

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
The only effective midge repellent is a midge net.

I have lived with those ( darling ) creatures most all of my life.

No problem really, midge net for sleep time.

Long sleeves, head net and a light pair of gloves when they and I are being playful outdoors, sees me through until a breeze blows them to midge heaven :)

rorymax

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beaton's midge jacket :D

Though I find repeated applications of Autan to be pretty good. Just not 100% though. Unlike the Beatons Jacket.

The little head nets are good too though. I keep them in the car and in every pack we have.

M

Link
http://www.midgejacket.co.uk

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Depending when and where next month you might be lucky and not get much of a midge problem. But don't quote me :)

Another vote for Autan, has always worked for me (but I also carry a head net and highly recommend you do too :) ).

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Smidge is great though there are some other products available with the same active chemical. It doesn't melt plastic and is even safe to use on kids. As said the midge sometimes get so thick that only a head net will keep them out of your eyes and allow you to breathe but for stopping you getting bitten I find smidge completely reliable.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Just before we went to NW Scotland last year, my wife insisted we load up on DEET and Avon cream. Of course when we made it to the location, it turned out that every single shop sold them! We also bought army surplus head nets (for a quid each!), but as it turned out, we had not one bite at all.

Still, better to take it them, just in case.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Vodka ?? lad, even whisky doesn't stop those blighters :sigh:
Stupidly Simple (contact Woodstock or Xylaria for the stuff) comes highly recommended though by those that like the smell of the birch tar.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My father swore by a pipe. The midges hate pipe smoke. Funnily enough the old folks used to recommend mugwort (a plant used agin the midge) and sweet gale (bog myrtle) for burning and smoking when the blighters were around.
Mugwort burns with a beautiful white smoke, and there's a lot of it too, pleasant scented as well.
Nowadays though all smoke is contraindicated :sigh:
If it gets desperate, it works though.

M

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
It's not that they hate pipe smoke. Most mosquito's and midges ,asfar as i know, follow the CO in your breath (or CO2, don't readily remember). The pipe smoke (or smoke from a campfire or something similar) masks that, and they just don't find you that well ;). It definitely works though.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Vodka ?? lad, even whisky doesn't stop those blighters :sigh:
Stupidly Simple (contact Woodstock or Xylaria for the stuff) comes highly recommended though by those that like the smell of the birch tar.

M

I have been descended on in the past n that time I was glad I had my net n gloves for no repellent would have helped.i'm thinking more along the lines of everyday use early morning etc.this stupidly simple? You've tried it it works?

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Ultrathon works really well for me, but I have a midge coat as well. Smidge is a bit kinder, Skin so soft just makes them stick to you. Try eating garlic and marmite which are supposed to work. Going to try MCQ Bushcrafts fly repellent smoker this year.

We reclaimed our garden from the midges last year by using a firepit but ended up smelling like kippers!

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I find the ULTRATHON works well for me too and each application is long lasting (up to 12 hours according to the packet, though I think that might be stretching it a bit). Price wise it is cheaper than a lot of others and a real bonus (for me at least) is Homebase seem to class it as seasonal and sell it off at a silly cheap price at the end of the season. On the downside, it does contain Deet, which some people don’t like and it also advises that it not be applied to cut or grazed skin, which is not always easy when playing with sharp and pointy things….my number one GO TO repellent is homemade, Lemon Balm, Lemon Geranium and Apple Mint Balm/Cream…..keeps the beasties off and is actually GOOD on cut skin, grazes, burns and bites…..In truth though I have never tried either in areas where Midges are really prolific, just around my own ponds and woods. The smudge pots do work (I burn Cramp Balls literally by the bucket full), but unfortunately you nearly have to deliberately sit in the smoke which isn’t a lot of fun.

D.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE