MIA for 44 years !!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Damn if that's true its a serious problem, I have no problem believing that not all POW's where handed over at the end of the war or that US SOG teams still worked in the country for several years after the end of the war.

But damn, I have Family who live abroad all the time (Sweden, Spain and South America) and when they come back for a visit after a few years I notice for the first week or so they can slip language to language mid sentence, or mispronounce the odd word (wrong inflection etc), and I have seen it the other way with my mum's friend Edda who is German I ocompanied her on a visit to Germany once on a dual-family holiday (one of the best I ever had) and my understanding of what her father said to her was "Your speaking German like a Englishman", what I am saying is perhaps he has not totally forgotten English, but perhaps he can't mentally form the reply.

Ellen, your a ex-psychologist what's your view on this situation?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This story was already being exposed as a fake last week with the US military advising that fingerprints and DNA do not match.

My take on the article was that the military were not participatring and were refusing comment. Also that none of the family have donated DNA for comparison saying that they were convinced enough that they didn't need confirmation?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i would imagine the US will discredit this story as they wont want the whole vietnam thing comming up again especially POW/MIA's,there were many left there for sure,the US recieved a comunicate from Hanoi via Paris offering POW/MIA's for several million dollars,the US refused and told the media it was for bodies found in the jungle,however the vietnamese gvt has allways handed over remains with no charge.
anu how chuck norris will sort it out for them! lol

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i would imagine the US will discredit this story as they wont want the whole vietnam thing comming up again especially POW/MIA's,there were many left there for sure,the US recieved a comunicate from Hanoi via Paris offering POW/MIA's for several million dollars,the US refused and told the media it was for bodies found in the jungle,however the vietnamese gvt has allways handed over remains with no charge.

Not sure what bearing that would have on this story though. If the article were true, it would appear that he escaped early on (as in while the war was still active) and decided to stay on his own.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Except, as has been pointed out to you by 2 people now, the story is not true and it is not him .....

Not sure who you're addressing. Personally, I was a bit skeptical of the story from the first time I read it. Not because it isn't possible, but more because in the last decade almost all missing have been accounted for and/or their remains returned.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

I think the figure was a fair bit more than that

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
in the last decade almost all missing have been accounted for and/or their remains returned.

[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Currently, 1,655 Americans are "unaccounted for" in Southeast Asia:
[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times] [/FONT]
expbul1a.gif
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Vietnam: 1,280[/FONT]
expbul2a.gif
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]North Vietnam : 470[/FONT]
expbul2a.gif
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]South Vietnam : 810[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times] [/FONT]
expbul1a.gif
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Laos : 314[/FONT]
expbul1a.gif
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Cambodia : 54[/FONT]
expbul1a.gif
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]China (territorial waters) : 7[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times] [/FONT]​
[FONT=book antiqua, Times New Roman, Times] These figures were last updated on : October 17, 2012
Figures include 468 at sea or overwater losses

[/FONT]

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Currently, 1,655 Americans are "unaccounted for" in Southeast Asia:
expbul1a.gif

Vietnam: 1,280
expbul2a.gif

North Vietnam : 470
expbul2a.gif

South Vietnam : 810
expbul1a.gif

Laos : 314
expbul1a.gif

Cambodia : 54
expbul1a.gif

China (territorial waters) : 7
These figures were last updated on : October 17, 2012
Figures include 468 at sea or overwater losses

Like I said, not very many left unaccounted for is it? Every year another few dozen remains are repatriated. Enough so that the Vietnam remains have been removed from the Tomb of the Unknowns and identified as we approach full accounting. Currently, NO remains from Vietnam are unidentified.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE