Meths

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
After reading a post about a SAT, I've decided to get mine out and have a play with it. I seem to remember not using it because of the cost of meths. Can anyone recommend where to buy it cheap and are there any alternatives. Cheers

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Great info here as always, thanks guys. Bio fuel, last time I looked at that it was £6 a litre or something daft like that. Wondering if its come down in price any, you could safely cook in doors with that mmmmmm

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Great info here as always, thanks guys. Bio fuel, last time I looked at that it was £6 a litre or something daft like that. Wondering if its come down in price any, you could safely cook in doors with that mmmmmm

You're right about the price of the 'bio' stuff.

My meths comes from French supermrkets and it's half the price you pay in England, the last I paid was a little under E1.40 per litre in 1 litre size and a little less in 5l.

There's a guy on here uses methanol but it's a bit nasty compared to meths and it's even less efficient in heat per litre than meths.

To be honest for the amount that you use in cooking the cost probably isn't that much of an issue, but if you're walking in with it the weight per meal might be.

The French meths is certainly the most pleasant fuel to use -- apart from high-test vodka, that is. :)

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Try your local cheap tool place, (The kinda place that sells the same brand of tools as Poundland) I've got it down to £1.59 for a 500ml bottle, my mate used to buy it from Wicks D.I.Y for £3.29 for the same

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Be careful with it. Treat it with respect. In my experience it is every bit as good as meths for use in Trangias etc., but, as ged has suggested, it is nasty. It is poisonous and it can be absorbed thru' your skin.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Once I made the move to methanol I found myself using it more and more, I use it now in my honey, with my Mkettle etc. So much easier than burning solid fuel.

Clean burning too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Be careful with it. Treat it with respect. In my experience it is every bit as good as meths for use in Trangias etc., but, as ged has suggested, it is nasty. It is poisonous and it can be absorbed thru' your skin.

Your right, don't drink it or wash in it :) Its all I use now, and won't switch back to meths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE