Meths

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
pepsi can burners of the type often used by U.S. "thru hikers" and widely shown on a number of forums tend to use 20- 30mls for a boil of 0.5 L or more depending on the efficiency of the design. Same goes for trangia/svea burners. Some reccomend adding up to 10% water to eke out the fuel and make the burn less sooty on pans ? more efficient?
however my experience with uk meths (purple dyed) suggests it is probably already diluted to some extent and added water can cause problems. i tried using undyed medical alcohol (surgical spirit) i found it had lighting problems at very low temperatures (around 0 degrees C.) Id recommend a test under controlled conditions and then take more than the test suggests to allow for inclement conditions/ spillage/evapouration depending on conditions.
also I would DEFINITELY recommend if using uk meths to find a way of keeping it away from anything that may pick up the taste/smell of whatever it is they add to make it unpalatable, especially food and drink or the inside of your cooking utensils.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
From my own experiance with pepsi stoves and a swedish military tranga I budget for 75ml to boil a litre, 2 two size hot drinks and 2 compo main meals heated.

I have never watered down uk Purple meths and never have a soot problem. In winter I have a good sized splash around the outside to get the main burner going. I have had it burn slower in winter but with a heatsheld it still does the biz. If I use a pepsi stove I use two, run one, when its used all the fuel swap it for a prefilled second stove and off you go.
adds a hint of weight overall but so much easier.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
pepsi can burners of the type often used by U.S. "thru hikers" and widely shown on a number of forums tend to use 20- 30mls for a boil of 0.5 L or more depending on the efficiency of the design. Same goes for trangia/svea burners. Some reccomend adding up to 10% water to eke out the fuel and make the burn less sooty on pans ? more efficient?
however my experience with uk meths (purple dyed) suggests it is probably already diluted to some extent and added water can cause problems. i tried using undyed medical alcohol (surgical spirit) i found it had lighting problems at very low temperatures (around 0 degrees C.) Id recommend a test under controlled conditions and then take more than the test suggests to allow for inclement conditions/ spillage/evapouration depending on conditions.
also I would DEFINITELY recommend if using uk meths to find a way of keeping it away from anything that may pick up the taste/smell of whatever it is they add to make it unpalatable, especially food and drink or the inside of your cooking utensils.

Don't dilute meths, it only slows down the heating process, waste of time really, if you get a bit of soot its not big deal to a big tough buscrafter now is it ?

Medical alcohol is more often than not weaker strength than meths so its not worth using it.

I've talked many time to Norwegian stove collectors/winter campers about the brits diluting meths, their response has always been
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE