Meths vs ethanol

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone know the likely difference in vaporisation (speed and temperature it starts) of a pure ethanol fuel compared to the methylated spirits? Only asking because I have some and it appears to me to produce vapour at a lower temperature. It explains how even the modest increase in temperature since the bottle was filled and closed has resulted in the bugger becoming impossible to open (the cap is even bulging under the pressure). I intend to bung it in the fridge to try to relieve the pressure so I can open the bloody bottle to use it. I take it that has no issues.

Also the ethanol would have less fumes, as I understand it being a cleaner fuel it is slightly better in confined spaces as the fumes are less as are the smoke and soot. Is that correct? I'll be using it in a standard meths burner. Anyone got experience of lab or even industrial grade ethanol in meths burners?

EdS

Meths is ethanol not methanol -- it is methylated spirit. Basically, it is ethanol with up to 10% methanol added for duty reason and to make it undrinkable. Not for health reason but originally, to spot people avoiding alcohol duty on drinks. Bitrex and the dye are added for health reasons.

Difference between methylated spirit and pure ethanol is minimal.

However, there is a difference between pure methanol and pure ethanol. Methanol will but cleaner than ethanol as it a smaller molecule, so less chemical bonds to be broken to get CO2 & H2O --- CH3OH as opposed to C2H5OH,

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know about the mix but wasn't sure of the effect. So the methanol is a slightly cleaner burn but the additions, what effect on the burn? Does the dye and bitrex have any effect on the burn? Also what are the relative vaporisation point/temp of the clean ethanol compared with commercially obtained "meths" due to the 10% methanol? What I mean is which is lower methanol or ethanol? Like propane/butane/isobutane gas mixes which vaporise at different temps to give different cold temp performance there will be a similar effect happening to the ethanol/methanol mix (not in the burn but in the storage). I was just wondering.

Also learnt that a standard screw top bottle is not as good for meths storage as either a trangia style bottle with a safety valve or a screw type with a flip up pour spout (my preferred partly due to good control of pour). Pressure build up can make unscrewing a standard bottle top difficult.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I know about the mix but wasn't sure of the effect. So the methanol is a slightly cleaner burn but the additions, what effect on the burn? Does the dye and bitrex have any effect on the burn? Also what are the relative vaporisation point/temp of the clean ethanol compared with commercially obtained "meths" due to the 10% methanol? What I mean is which is lower methanol or ethanol? Like propane/butane/isobutane gas mixes which vaporise at different temps to give different cold temp performance there will be a similar effect happening to the ethanol/methanol mix (not in the burn but in the storage). I was just wondering.

Also learnt that a standard screw top bottle is not as good for meths storage as either a trangia style bottle with a safety valve or a screw type with a flip up pour spout (my preferred partly due to good control of pour). Pressure build up can make unscrewing a standard bottle top difficult.

It attacks some plastics and welds the lid on, good luck getting it off. A trangia bottle is much better and you can just buy the pourer and use with standard thread flasks no proble,

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
For short-term use, a Shoot (soft drinks bottle with a pop-out cap)bottle makes a good controllable filler of Trangias etc. Having said "short-term", I've left meths in a Shoot bottle for over a year with no apparent side-effects - still usable, bottle hadn't melted etc...........

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got a nice flip top bottle from AGG (came with their can cook set). It has a controllable pour and is ok with meths in it for ages (I'm mostly a gas stove person just use meths occasionally).

I reckon a sacrificial hole in the side of the bottle to get the ethanol out. I was thinking a spell in the fridge might reduce the pressure in the bottle by the ethanol vapour going back to liquid.

I have only used the Trangia bottle once and think its a good design but has its problems. I took a full bottle on a trip, then I stored it with less than half the bottle full (left overs from the trip). A month or so later I got it out for a trip and noticed the top had became fused on tight I reckon the vapours in that did for it. I could pour the meths out but the bottle is totally useless. I think I'll get one of the lightweight bottles with flip spouts from BPL-UK site. Cheaper, lighter and I find those bottles more user friendly in terms of accurate pouring.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've only ever used ethanol absolute.... No problems with it. Burn time seems good to me.

Fruit shoot bottles are a good shout too. Again, no problems.

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE