meths stove that fits in the crusader cooker unit

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
I've made a red bull soda can stove - didn't quite make it thin enough to slot down in the lip at thye bottom of the crusader stove - heats 500ml in one fill

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
right i done a quick test using milton hand gel filled the well about 3/4 full and put a mug of water one (inch from the top of the crusader cup) i never used a lid which would improve things. Basically boil time was around 9 mins and the gel burnt out around 14 mins. Also of note mine is the webtex kit which i think is a direct copy of the crusader one hand gel is cheaper than the green heat as its often on offer in super markets and lights much easier and like you said has the added advantage of being used as a hand or wound steriliser :-D

Not all hand gels burn as well as others, the strength varies a lot.

If you are going to use a gel, this works better than most

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-X-STERNO-CH...amping_CookingSupplies_ET?hash=item335ba13a86

You don't need to take the whole can, you can scoop some into a smaller container.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice, with an indicator to tell you that the flame went out:wow1:

The indicator is to stop idiots picking up a hot can.

Sterno is used a lot more in the States than here, you can buy fold up stoves to use with the cans.

The tins come in different sizes and the gel burns cleaner than hand gel which can often leave a residue behind; I've tried hand gel but don't recommend it as stove fuel to be honest.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE