meths stove that fits in the crusader cooker unit

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
You can if you have a couple of tent pegs
The handle of the cooker sits across the top of the meths burner (Highlander one) but if you use two pegs and put the arms out, you have better clearance.

Without Pegs

With Pegs

So yes

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
The highlander meths burner fits like i said, it's the same size i believe, as the Tatonka and Trangia ones.
There isn't a "Crusader Meths Burner" on the market.
Or you can make one like Gregorach says.
Simples

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
The highlander meths burner fits like i said, it's the same size i believe, as the Tatonka and Trangia ones.
There isn't a "Crusader Meths Burner" on the market.
Or you can make one like Gregorach says.
Simples

cheers i will use the peg idea :) they missed a trick when they desigend the crusader cooker if they had only made it a tad higher

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
I found that the cooker being a large lump of metal sucked the heat out of the meths giveing a slow cold burn it was more effective just to pour the meths in the cup of the stove and light :rolleyes:

ATB

Duncan

I never thought of that and it works a treat :):You_Rock_

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The problem using the Trangia burner is that the mug sits to close to the burner which in turn stops the stove flame 'blooming'. I had better results with a home made pop can stove when I tested the Crusader system.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I found that the cooker being a large lump of metal sucked the heat out of the meths giveing a slow cold burn it was more effective just to pour the meths in the cup of the stove and light :rolleyes:

ATB

Duncan

Same here, nowadays I use that alcohol gel used for bbq etc (cheap greenheat). Convenient (2,5 eur for 1lt), not as nasty as meth and easy to control i the cup. Boils 1/2 liter in 8 min (with lid).

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i thought the gel was rubbish personally i tried it on the beach fishing, bit of a wind blowing and well it would not light not even with a lighter or firesteel. In the end i dipped my finger in the gel and lit it under my coat and dabbed it in the gel to get it going (not very safe :-D) it was in winter mind and very exposed personally now if i am using gel i go for the hand cleaner gel works much better than greenhead and leaves no residue failing that hexamine is reliable

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure about using with a crusader but IMHO the best meths stove out there is the whitebox stove. It is a more durable stove than a pepsi can stove but is still very light and it actually burns almost as well as some gass stoves. Comes with a reflector and a windshield. All you need with a suitable pan, I'd recommend a small, light Al pot like the AGG 3cup for solo use or the larger AGG pot for two people. For only boiling water and not for simmering it is best meths stove IMHO.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Hey, I like the idea of using the hand-cleaner gel (multi-use blah!):D - how long a burn can you get if you just fill the Crusader cooker with it, enough to boil a mug full of water?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
yeah it burns better than greenheat and not as much sticky residue i always carry the hand gels now great for starting fires, antiseptic and fuel. You can ignite it easily with a firesteel also, cotton wool balls dabbed with it are great as tinder if your not too fussed about being traditional personally i use what ever gets the job done. Half a well in the crusader will get about 2/3rd of mug to the boil if i get chance over the weekend ill tidy the figures up with burn time..

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
The Highlander burner must be a bit smaller than the Trangia burner. When I tried to place my Trangia burner in the Crusader cooker, the burner itself stands a bit taller than the walls of the cooker as the Trangia is sitting atop the Crusader's fuel ring whereas this Highlander burner appears to be sitting inside the fuel ring. -And yes that is with the non-military Trangia.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
right i done a quick test using milton hand gel filled the well about 3/4 full and put a mug of water one (inch from the top of the crusader cup) i never used a lid which would improve things. Basically boil time was around 9 mins and the gel burnt out around 14 mins. Also of note mine is the webtex kit which i think is a direct copy of the crusader one hand gel is cheaper than the green heat as its often on offer in super markets and lights much easier and like you said has the added advantage of being used as a hand or wound steriliser :-D

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
It is possible to use a trangia burner in a crusader base by putting a computer fan cover over the top (sorry no pics, camera knackered). The eyelets need opening up so that it fits across the width, but it gives you sufficient height for the burner to bloom. Would recommend the use of a windshield as well though. Fan covers have a high and low side - use the high side.
You can get the fan covers for free at a pc repair shop....
I got the idea from one of the guys on here from a stove realted thread (sorry, not sure who you are) and adapted it.

Another solution is to use a air rifle pellet tin (.177) with a curl of fibre glass rope that is used for sealing woodburning stoves (you can get a metre for about £5) and pour meths into tin (I use the metal base of a survival candle as a measure for the meths - 1 measure boils half a litre of water). The rope acts as a wick.

There are probably better solutions, but either works for me.

Cheers

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
This set up works fine for my Crusader set up and you can put it out and use again
POST #8 http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54479

fueltin.jpg

from this thread in out and about
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54002

cheers Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE