Meths or fuel bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
Hi all
anyone got a fuel bottle they no longer use as I am looking for one to carry some meths in.
Thanks
Jazz

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Poundland do a good 500ml ally bottle which are ideal for carrying meths in and cheap they do them in all colours and you could always mark it so you know whats in it.

Might be wrong but I don't think you can put me the in an aluminium container as it will react. At least it did in my experience!
I use an empty plastic lighter fluid bottle for mine the nozzle is great for squirting into a trangia or priming a stove/lantern.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have used the ally can from poundland for years and no problems, just don't store long term. I have blue for water, green for unleaded and purple for meths.

when I have finished a day out I decant the remainder back in the main container, the oldest is ten years old.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I have used the ally can from poundland for years and no problems, just don't store long term. I have blue for water, green for unleaded and purple for meths.

when I have finished a day out I decant the remainder back in the main container, the oldest is ten years old.

Ah, that might have been my mistake leaving it in the container.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Not too bothered to be honest, .5 l or 0.6 or 1l
If you aren't fussy, almost any string PET fizzy drinks bottle (suitably labelled to avoid accidents) will do for meths. Just make sure that the stopper is a good tight fit and won't loosen accidentally in your pack, you don't want your sleeping bag to catch fire! Yes, aluminium bottles will be attacked by meths if you store it in them for a long time. Even bottles which have an internal coating will have pinholes in the coating which will allow corrosion to start. It's OK to use them for a week or two at a time though. Don't use them for other fuels unless you change the stopper for a proper fuel-resistant type. An ordinary drinks bottle stopper will absorb the fuel and swell, then the threads will be destroyed when you take the stopper out - if you can get it out... The Trangia bottles are great for meths, convenient and easy to pour, but pricey for what they have to do. The thread on the Trangia bottles which is sealed with an O-ring seal has a habit of getting very tight in my experience. Yesterday to top up for this weeks badger watching I had to put one in a vice to loosen it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE