Meths Fuel bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Does anyone have any recommendation for lightweight durable fuel bottles for meths. I'm ideally looking for 2 sizes - ~120ml and ~350ml - for short hikes, and slightly longer trips respectively.

Any suggestions?

J

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Capri Sun 330ml drinks pouches with screw tops make great fuel bottles, and they roll up to nothing once empty.

Pretty much any of the modern plastic bottles will do for meths, just choose one with a decent closure on the cap. Body Shop bottles work well, so do most hotel complimentary shampoo and shower gel bottles. My big 8oz bottle for multi day trips was one I stole off the wife, I think it had nail polish remover in it. I also use a 2oz bottle which is almost flat like a hip flask, that had contact lens cleaner in it I think, great for leaving in a pocket over night for that instant brew in the morning.

Ampulla have some good stuff, and I've used these on ebay before, the twist top is handy and it closes well.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I second the nail polish remover bottles, very sturdy and I've never had a closure fail. And the other benefit, you can use the contents as fuel too. Pound shops sell em for a squid.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Military mart do the Swedish issue ones for a quid. They're 250ml and basic but do the job.

Got one added to an order recently, I like the fact that the bottle is flattish rather than round, so easier to stash in the pouch with the crusader kit and monkey boy stove.

Cheers, Paul

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Swedish army ones leak, most folk throw em away.

I use the cheap pound shop Alu sigg bottles, just scratch fuel on it.

usaqa5e9.jpg

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I have the issue one which I tested for leaks by filling it and placing it upside down over kitchen roll for a night or two. It did not leak, however I may just be lucky. With a lot of the cheap surplus items, they get through into a box and piled on top of each other.

However it does have the advantage of being flat with a slight curve, which means you can put it in a pocket or against you to warm it up.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
I have the issue one which I tested for leaks by filling it and placing it upside down over kitchen roll for a night or two. It did not leak, however I may just be lucky. With a lot of the cheap surplus items, they get through into a box and piled on top of each other.

However it does have the advantage of being flat with a slight curve, which means you can put it in a pocket or against you to warm it up.

did you test it with meths? meths seems to find gaps in seals that are otherwise ok with water.

or maybe the design changed slightly depending on the batch?

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I have a 1 litre trangia, and also use a 100ml old nail polish remover bottle for smaller amounts. The only issue with the smaller bottle is over-tightening it can cause the seal in the lid to fail; although I've never had any leakages myself.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Be careful storing meths in fuel bottles, the screw tops/seal sometimes lock tight after being in contact with meths for a time.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
a couple minor notes

1. meths in Alu bottles without an inner plastic coating may cause the Alu to corrode on the inside of the bottle

2. meths in plastic bottles for a long time (over a year) may leach out the plasticizers and the plastic will crack - this has happened a couple times to me over the years - I think this may also depend on the type of plastic but I am unsure about this

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I use a plastic lighter fuel bottle which is also great for squirting into my Bialaddin lamp to prime it :)

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I managed to get a couple of flip top bottles we use for mixing small amounts of paint for spraying.i think they're 50 ml each.never leaked yet

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Nalgene bottles work well, BPL do a set. I use the small nalgene for measuring out and nail polish bottle for carrying on longer trips and decant it all back to the original bottle for long term storage.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
you can buy it in 250ml and 500ml bottles and they dont leak with child proof lids.. i simply keep it in the bottle it comes in apart from when i use my Swiss Army stove then i decant some into the wee bottle. If your after bottles around 250ml then makes sense just to order some 250ml bottles of meths???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE