Meths alternative

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Coleman is basically petrol. On no account burn this in a Trangia - very, very dangerous.

You used to be able to get Industrial De-natured Alcohol for stoves but mr taxman has put a stop to it. In al events you need something that is alcohol based - in the UK thats pretty much meths now

Red

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
My brother uses methanol for diesel production and gets it cheap(£25 per 10 litres),Is this a viable alternative/

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
AFAIK Meths is mainly ethanol with a small percentage of methanol added, so I'd think straight methanol would be OK. Isopropyl alchohol works too but I don't think it works out as efficient, certainly not for the price you pay - I've bought it by the litre for cleaning electronics at about £12 a bottle.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
We have brandspirtus over here thats real cheap I was in the uk not so long ago it was a ridiculs price for meths!! we get a liter of brand spiritus for about 1 euro (80-90 pence) it burns hotter and does leave as much soot on the the bottom of the pan..

Its used in the chineese stores herre for keep food warm maybe you can look in a shop like that ?

Simon

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
IIRC there is a liquid "Wiping Compound" used in the car spraying industry that works well. The name escapes me but I'm sure someone on here knows what it is. In between coats of paint this stuff is wiped over the surface to remove grease etc ready for the next coat.... I'm thinking "Finial Wipe" but I'm not too sure

IIRC there is a liquid "Wiping Compound" used in the car spraying industry that works well. The name escapes me but I'm sure someone on here knows what it is. In between coats of paint this stuff is wiped over the surface to remove grease etc ready for the next coat.... I'm thinking "Finial Wipe" but I'm not too sure

:eek: Don't use that in a meths burner, it may explode! That panel wipe is used in petrol stoves!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

I think your thinking of panel whipe, thats OK to use in petrol stoves but NOT in trangias.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
..only if you want to end up looking like 'sooty' from the moot ;)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Got me gear ready

bombsquad2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE