Metal press advice

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I'm looking at making some stoves, where I need to press some cans to create a rolled edge. I know some of you guys have made these. So I want to know what you used as a press. I have no workshop so I'm looking for something which won't take up much room.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Whitebox? That's a new name for me. I'm making the ones using ally cider bottle

yeah, that's the same kind. you don't need any kind of tool to roll the edges over on this kind of stove. all i do is to make the inner section of the stove such a size that the top edge of the inner sits down a couple of mm below the top edge of the outer, then i just use something like the side of screwdriver to slowly and gradually bend over the top edge of the outer can until it's rolled completely over the inner. i hope that makes sense

stuart

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I like the yellow tool. I'm going to give my solid plastic vice a go, if that fails I might treat myself to something.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I made a lynx can stove, just used emery cloth on a board, sanded it until inner and outer were flat and smoothed off. No sharp edges. Rolled edge would look nice, but I don't think it's needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE