messing about with cooking oil tins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
where i live in new delhi in the west midlands finding empty cooking oil barrels is very easy so i decided to have a play with a few. heres the general plan,

small contaianed cooker
costs are next to nothing
use only or should that be have only cheap basic hand tools with no real metal work experience and very poor at jioning metals together
would be good to keep fire a foot off the ground so i can use it at northwood this weekend coming if i can get the money together.
i love smoke cooked food either hot or cold so why not add a smoking section to it

and so on , quite a long list for a first attempt but we will try any thing

PIC_2983.jpg

so this is the mark one prototype, its a cooking oil drum with a pair of doors cut into the front ( mistake number one, should have been one door not two) the idea was to use two doors as a heat direction device and it failed here.

the next barrel ontop is supposed to be a smoking section as a seperat drum on top of the first one, it makes a brilliant oven but realy real naff smoker as its to hot because its to close to the first one
PIC_2986.jpg

this is inside the smoker it shows the baked bean tin chimney from the fire barrel and a can i turned into a cap to help direct the flames going up into the smoking section away from the middle bit, instead of one large crude hole i would think lots of 10mm holes would have been better to diffuse the smoke,
the biggest problem by far was the exscaping smoke form the fire box can
PIC_2987.jpg

i could not get the fire doors close enough to hold shut and the very thin sheet steel just bent all over the place in the heat .

so it did work sort of but to be honest we had more issues because of it than we wanted, the worst one by far was the lack of a flat area to stand the kettle on to get a good contack and heat transference to boil it for a brew

PIC_2991.jpg

balenceing a kettle on a bean can ant safe or is it working quickly enough

PIC_2990.jpg
this is proberly what the mark two will go towards a small flat section on the front at the top of the lying down tin with the smoker section still the up right one, a copy of the paint can stove realy.

the thing is these tin barrels do appeal to me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE