mesquite and willow spoons

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
An eating spoon from mesquite....

P1360910-001.JPG

P1360921-001.JPG

A kitchen spoon for my wife from mesquite...

P1360955-001.JPG

P1360941-001.JPG

And another eating spoon from desert willow...

P1360998-001.JPG

P1370002-001.JPG

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Beautiful spoons! It looks like the edges are getting thinner, surely a sign of your gaining experience, and refining your technique.

I particularly like the chip carving on the top spoon, very reminiscent of an ear of wheat. The desert willow spoon has a lovely flowing shape. The kitchen spoon is more my style - a straightish stick with a spoon end (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way) - more like the spoons I like to make, as I've never really cracked the sinuous "flow" of a really good eating spoon.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks, mates!

Tony, the mesquite can be a real bear to work, but if the grain it oriented right, it's not too bad. Inevitably part of the spoon will have the grain oriented in an easier way and part of it won't. Thin hard sharp blades are important. I carve these all from dry wood and I'm getting a bit of experience with edges. The flat scandi grind is undeniably my favorite. Even a slight convex just doesn't cut as well.

Appreciate your detailed comments, Muddypaws. The main thing as you said it a straight stick handle and a bowl. The rest is primarily aesthetic. And I was going for a "wheat" style design on that top one. The main thing is to enjoy it. You're right about the edges getting thinner, but I have to be careful because perfectionism can steal the fun out the craft. I'm trying to find that happy place where the spoon is good, but I've also enjoyed making it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great spoons as usual Todd :)

I especially love the kitchen spoon with the lovely honey colour of the wood. Is that the sap wood or were you just lucky getting that piece?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
By car on a good day, I live about 10hrs east of tidewater. All the same, there's a very good fish shop in the city, bought 3 dozen big mussels for a good feed. Steamed over a white wine, butter & pepper slices sauce.

I'd like to see a fork. 3-4 tines, regular fork size, something to dig the cooked mussels out of the shells. The tines need not be more than 1" long. Instead of the tough, pungent east coast mussels, this time I got Saltspring Island mussels, just off the west coast of BC. Sweet, mild, tender, heavenly grub. Oh yeah: French bread & butter for the juice!

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks, Steve. The mesquite hardly has any sap wood, so I consider it luck to get a piece with some, but yes, it is sapwood. Makes for a dramatic contrast.

Robson, I hear you. I'll get to one and send it your way one of these days. I owe you anyway for that nice adze handle (which I'm very eager to get to....work has been tying me up lately).

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's no urgency at all. I'm in the city for a week (good fish shop) and it is a rare circumstance for me to have supper alone. That's the opportunity to eat something that nobody else likes but me. . . . . . brilliant New Year's resolution. As they are, your spoons would make any meal more appetizing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE