merlin is it magic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
does anyone have of these? http://www.sasskit.co.uk/product.php?id=89 i am toying with the idea of getting one in an attempt to make my kit smaller to make it easier to fit in a rucksack less than 100 litres,
is it warm? does it compact as small as it claims? will it fit a 5ft 10 slightly tubby bloke in it comfortably?
its a lil pricey and i dont wanna spend the money to be disappointed at it.
cheers in advance
Sam

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i had the snugpak special forces 1 bag which is in the same sort of range as the merlin in temp ratings, size etc.
great as a lightweight summer bag but i wouldn't use one past +10c as i tried it down to +3c and spent a very uncomfortable night gibbering in my sleeping bag.
in respects of size i am the same height as you and could be described as slightly tubby as well and i fitted in my bag easily with as much room as you would expect a mummy shaped bag to have.

if you are set on a snugpak lightweight summer bag have a look at the softie elite 1.
cheaper price around £55, same temp rating, smaller pack down size and it has an expanding zip/baffle for the larger bushcrafter :p

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
does anyone have of these? http://www.sasskit.co.uk/product.php?id=89 i am toying with the idea of getting one in an attempt to make my kit smaller to make it easier to fit in a rucksack less than 100 litres,
is it warm? does it compact as small as it claims? will it fit a 5ft 10 slightly tubby bloke in it comfortably?
its a lil pricey and i dont wanna spend the money to be disappointed at it.
cheers in advance
Sam

I've got one and yes it does pack down that small. But I found snugpack are a bit over optimistic in their ratings so you might find it a bit cool to use.

I bought mine from here which is about the cheapest going. If you're worried about fitting in you can always get an expanda panel . That'll give you loads of room :)

hornbyben

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 13, 2008
Sydney
I bought one of these and I agree with m.durston, they pack down quite small, but the temperature rating is optimistic. I took one on holiday to Tasmania. My wife and I were in a fairly remote place with a night time low of about 4ºC. I had a T-shirt and shorts on, but still had to included some situps in my sleep regime, and couldn't wait for the morning to come. We had a 2 day hike planned for the next day, and so I ended up buying a 1 kg blanket from a general store for additional warmth for the next night. Needless to say as soon as we got back to Australia I bought a nice 800 loft down quilt, which weighs less, packs smaller, and is considerably warmer (although it does cost more as well).

Not a bad bag as long as you're aware of the limitations. I definitely agree that 10ºC is about the lowest you'll be comfortable.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
so the general consensus is its good but not as good as it claims?
blast the search for a small warm sleeping bag without having to sell a kidney to buy it continues
thanks everyone
Sam

Might be worth having a look at http://www.alpkit.com/skyehigh/ for £13 more than the merlin you can have a down bag (however, I see they are out of stock, a recurring problem with the Alpkit stuff).

Alpkit has an excellent reputation here, but I'm not sure how the sizing compares with the Merlin

Graham

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The merlin is a really thin bag. Wamth is equal to loft (thickness). I remember when this bag used to have a -5 rating, then when it went to 0, now it seems to be +5...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE